Hundreds Honor Aloian At Quincy House Service

By Susan L. Kelly

More than 200 students, faculty, and alumni gathered yesterday at a Quincy House memorial service for former House Master David A. Aloian '49, who died of cancer on November 23.

An overflow crowd packed the Quincy House Junior Common Room to listen to the remembrances of University Marshal Richard M. Hunt, Quincy resident Susan E. Ordway '86-'87, former Senior Tutor Eliot A. Cohen '77, former Co-Master Mimi Aloian '52 and Elliot Forbes, Peabody Professor of Music Emeritus.

After a piano prelude performed by Clara S. Chan '87, Hunt, a Quincy House fellow, opened the proceedings with recollections of Aloian's wide and varied interests in the life of the College. He noted Aloian's love of Quincy House, his work as executive director of the Harvard Alumni Association, and his important contribution to the 350th Celebration. Hunt said that Aloian's efforts helped to make the 350th "a family affair."

Acting as the representative of the Quincy House Junior Common Room, Ordway praised Aloian's years as House Master. She said he was a master who cared about the students and that he had positively transformed her view of the house.

Cohen said Aloian came as close to the ideals of a gentleman "as any man I have known." Cohen also cited Aloian's accomplishments as a teacher, stressing that he often went beyond the realm of the formal instructor. Aloian inspired the desire to follow "a life of service and learning" in all those who came into contact with him, Cohen added.

Avoiding personal reminiscences, Forbes read from some of Aloian's favorite literature, including Albert Einstein's definition of the beautiful as the mysterious.

Aloian's wife, Mimi, added a short reading of some of his private papers in which he discussed his hopes that love in the family might extend to the whole family of man. "What if the family of man really could unite and make a success of life on this planet?" wrote Aloian.

Following the speakers Paul D. Brusiloff performed a jazz selection. The guests filed out in silence.