Penn, Columbia Have a Field Day: Harvard Fencers Lose Four Straight

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

The Harvard fencing teams closed out the fall season not with a bang but with a wimper, dropping all four meets to Ivy League counterparts Penn and Columbia Saturday in New York City.

"It's unfortunate we had to fence both," sophomore Captain Penelope Papailias said. "They weren't just regular teams, but we were fencing two of the best."

Defending national champion Penn edged the the swordswomen, 10-6, despite a sparkling performance by Papailias--winner of all four of her matches for the fourth consecutive time this season.

Harvard (3-2 overall, 0-2 Ivy) trailed Penn, 7-5, after three rounds and still had a chance to pull out a victory. However, Penn tripped any thoughts of a Harvard rally by capturing three of the four bouts in the final round to grab the win.

"I think we kind of scared them," Papailias said. "Penn went home thinking 'Harvard has a team.'"

After falling to the Quakers, Harvard was defeated by Columbia, 12-4, later the same day.

This one was never really close, as the Lions prowled to a 6-2 lead after two rounds. The margin of the Lion lead was extended to an insurmountable 10-2 deficit as Columbia won all four bouts in round three.

Papailias led the Harvard effort, posting a 2-2 record. The losses were her first of the season after sixteen consecutive victories.

Swordsmen slashed

The Harvard men's fencing team was also swept over the weekend by Penn, 19-8, and Columbia, 22-5.

A year ago, the Crimson upset Ivy powerhouse Penn only to fall to Columbia the following week.

Saturday, however, Harvard (2-3 overall, 0-2 Ivy) never threatened Penn nor Columbia, trailing the entire way in both meets.

Oh-for-Three

All three weapons were soundly defeated, as sabre, foil and epee were trounced 16-2, 12-6, and 13-5, respectively.

Only epee weapon leader Jim O'Neil won at least three bouts, finishing 4-2 on the day.

"I think we should have--and could have--done much better," O'Neil said.

The fencers next see action in February.