Women's Rights Protests Spark Violence

Demonstrators Attacked at Cornell, Dartmouth

By John C. Yoo

A "Take Back the Night" march and rally at Cornell protesting violence against women last week produced one arrest and two alleged incidents of cars attempting to run down some of the 350 protesters.

Ithaca, N.Y., Police Sergeant David J. Nazer told The Cornell Daily Sun that junior William E. Seelinger was charged with harassing sophomore Kimberley A. Spire during the rally.

Spire charged that Seelinger struck her across the chest when he became angry at protesters, who were preventing him from driving his car past them. He had been driving on the left side of the road into self-designated "peacekeepers," who linked arms to form a human wall preventing the passage of traffic.

Seelinger began to violently insult the women and threatened to have them arrested, Spire told the Sun. Reacting to a yelled insult, the Cornell junior got out of his car and allegedly hit Spire across the chest when she tried to block him from hitting another woman.

Demonstrators also brought charges against the driver of a Maryland-licensed motor home who attempted to drive through the mass of protesters at the same time as Seelinger did, according to the Sun.

Pounding the sides of the vehicle, the women were subject to blows and verbal abuse when the driver stopped and opened his door into the protesters, kicking several who tried to enter the motor home, the Sun reported.

The driver was stopped by police when he attempted to drive through the crowd. Police refused to identify the man.

Women said a third driver, who is still at large, accelerated his car into the "peacekeepers," injuring some of their legs.

"The incidents involving cars plowing through women will leave a lasting effect," organizer Leslie Harris, a sophomore, told the Sun. "To drive when someone's standing in front of you is just sickness." Police had given the women permission to block the street for the march.

Assaults At Dartmouth

Protesters at Dartmouth, chanting "Women unite, take back the night," held a similar march on teh night before Cornell's, in response to the early morning attack on a female sophomore.

Walking by a dorm 2:30 a.m. last Wednesday, prominent divestment activist Carol Caton was attacked from behind by an unidentified man who jumped out from behind trees and punched her in the face before fleeing into the night, The Dartmouth reported.

Treated for a large bruise under her left eye and released from a local hospital, Caton identified her attacker as a tall white male with brown hair. Police have no suspects, according to The Dartmouth.

Dean of the College Edward Shanahan issued a statement expressing his outrage at the "shocking and reprehensible" event. Stating that the attack threatened "all members of the community," Shanahan promised that "if a student is found to have done this, the only reasonable response is separation from the College."

"People have been very supportive, but everyone is very angry," Caton said. "There's a feeling that they didn't just hit me, they hit all of us."

Earlier in the evening at a local restaurant, Caton had reportedly been arguing with senior Lenny Fontes, a standout linebacker on the Dartmouth football team.

After slapping him in the face for "an offensive remark," Caton charges that Fontes grabbed her by both arms and pushed her back against the wall.

Fontes has denied most of the allegations, and officials say Fontes is not a likely suspect because he does not fit the description of Caton's attacker.

The rally, which was held in protest, attracted more than 1000 marchers. Escorted by police, the protesters walked through the Dartmouth campus carrying candles and singing We Shall Overcome.

Although no violence was reported, several bystanders jeered and insulted the demonstrators, who were led by Caton.