Senior Stars 1986: Harvard's Finest

Robert Santiago

If you happened to visit Soldiers Field on a Saturday afternoon this fall, you probably noticed running back Robert Santiago.

And if you happen to visit Italy this summer, you'll probably notice a familiar figure on the gridiron: number 14 has taken his act to Europe, and is currently leading the Italian pro league in rushing.

Not much of a surprise, considering that Santiago's 1795 career yards place him fourth on the all-time Harvard rushing list.

Santiago's speed and athletic ability, his tough inside work and end-around sprints combined to make him one of the most productive--and exciting--rushers in recent Harvard football history.

After earning his first varsity letter as a sophomore in Harvard's Ivy-title 1983 season--playing six games before suffering an injury--the "Saint" emerged as the central player in Harvard Coach Joe Restic's Multiflex in '84.

As a junior, he covered 822 yards on the ground--the fourth best single-season total in 111 years of Harvard football history--and was named first team All-Ivy and honorable-mention AP All-America.

The 6-ft., 1-in, 195-lb. senior started this season slowly, after a spring semester away from Harvard, but gradually broke loose as the Crimson made a run for the Ivy title. He rushed for 185 yards against Holy Cross and another 100-plus in Harvard's victory over eventual league champion Penn.

Santiago's college career ended on a down-note when Harvard dropped The Game for the second straight year, thus losing a share of the Ivy title.

But for his 793 yards rushing and all-around contribution--which included team-leading pass reception for the second straight year--Santiago again earned honorable-mention All-America and first-team All-Ivy honors.