Jury to Probe Police Cover-Up

BOSTON -- Following the indictment of former and current high-ranking police officers in an alleged scheme to steal and sell promotional exams, the grand jury is now expected to focus on alleged criminal activities the officers wanted to protect.

The federal grand jury, in a lengthy indictment unsealed Wednesday, charged that leaders of the reputed test-stealing enterprise set up the ring so they could place favored officers in high-level positions in various police departments.

The indictment said those handpicked officers, in turn, could help the ring leaders cover up "other of their illegal activity [if they] ... come to the attention of those police departments."

The indictment, however, did not discuss what those other criminal enterprises were.

Middlesex County Dist. Atty. L. Scott Harshbarger said one was the $1.5 million robbery of the Depositors Trust Co. of Medford in 1980. The two leaders named in the indictment, former Metropolitan Police Capt. Gerald W. Clemente and former Medford Police Lt. Thomas K. Doherty, are serving sentences for their involvement in that crime.

Recommended Articles

Kaczynski Indicted For '94 Mail Bomb
Former Eliot House resident Theodore Kaczynski '62 was indicted yesterday by a federal grand jury for the 1994 mail bomb
Open Season for Prosecutions
T HE LINED leaf of notebook paper bears an almost illegible scribbling, the kind of hurried writing you associate with
Yard Burglar to Serve Two Years
Bringing an end to a five-month ordeal, the Yard Burglar's probation was formally revoked yesterday, sending him to a Massachusetts
St. Clair Will Assist Furry
James D. St. Clair, assistant counsel for the Army Department during last spring's Army-McCarthy hearings, has been appointed special trial
Weathermen Cleared Of Shooting Charges
The Weathermen have been cleared completely of any connection with the firing of two bullets into the Cambridge police station
Kilbreth Charged With 'Assaulting' Watson in April
A Middlesex County Grand Jury has indicted James T. Kilbreth III '69 on charges of assault and battery against Dean