Women Booters Work Overtime

Crimson Finishes in 0-0 Deadlock With Big Red

On Columbus Day weekend, when most people were enjoying a three-day vacation, the Harvard women's soccer team was working overtime.

But working overtime didn't pay extra dividends to the Crimson Saturday, as the booters had to settle for a scoreless, double-overtime tie against 18th-ranked Cornell in Ithaca, N.Y.

Harvard, which entered the contest ranked 14th in the nation, is now 6-0-1 (1-0-1 Ivies). The game marked the seventh shutout for Harvard goalie Tracee Whitley this season.

Both the Big Red and the Crimson had scoring opporunities in the contest, but Cornell had the two best chances. On one occasion, a shot hit the post, and on another a Big Red player missed just over the cross-bar.

"We weren't as dangerous in their 18 [goalie box] as they were in ours," Whitley said. "We were just one step off, just a little sluggish."

The long bus ride to Ithaca may have caused that sluggishness, but the booters didn't want to use the journey as an excuse.

Whitley, who made seven saves against the Big Red, said that she thought the team had come down slightly after its exciting win at Boston College last Wednesday, while Cornell played exceptionally well.

"If we had played as well for us as Cornell played for themselves," Whitley said, "I think we would have won."

"By far it was the most physical game we've played," senior fullback Cari Lyn Beck said. "Things just weren't clicking."

The tie was a slight disappointment for the squad, which has set an Ivy League title as its primary goal to the season. Although the tie may not prevent the team from winning the title, a victory would have made it the favorite in the race.

Whitley, a co-captain, has not allowed a goal in 11 straight contests, dating back to last season. The shutout streak is a Harvard record.

"To keep up the streak would be terrific," Whitley said, "but I would much rather have the wins. It is a big thrill, though."

Whitley has helped her own cause by making 45 saves so far this season. The strong Harvard defense, led by Beck and sophomore sweeper Andrea Montalbano, has kept opponents from penetrating deep into the Crimson end.

THE NOTEBOOK: The match marked the third straight year that Harvard and Cornell have played to a scoreless tie...The 6-0-1 start is the squad's best since 1981...Co-Captain Karin Pinezich leads the Crimson in scoring with three goals and two assists for eight points...Harvard takes on sixth-ranked UConn at Ohiri Field tomorrow at 3 p.m.