Nick Daniloff to Become Fellow at Barone Center

By Susan B. Glasser

Nicholas Daniloff '56, the U.S. News and World Report reporter arrested and held in the Soviet Union last year, will be a resident fellow at the Kennedy School next year.

Daniloff, who will study American and Soviet press treatment of world crises at the Kennedy School, will be a fellow at the Barone Center for Press, Politics and Public Policy. Marvin Kalb, director of the center, announced yesterday.

"I look forward to drawing on my personal experiences in covering major political and diplomatic events in Washington and Moscow, such as the resignation of President Nixon and the Cuban Missile Crisis," Daniloff said in a statement.

Daniloff made headlines in 1986 when he was arrested by the Soviet Union on charges of espionage. He was later released as part of an arrangement by the two superpowers that led to the Reykjavik summit in October, 1986.

The veteran journalist, who was a Nicman fellow in 1973, was the Moscow bureau chief for U.S. News and World Report from 1980 to 1986. Before that he was a Moscow correspondent and national security reporter for United Press International.