Improved Prefect System Confronts Yard's Apathy

By Spencer S. Hsu

This year's restructuring of the freshman prefect program has boosted prefects' morale and visibility among Yardlings, but freshmen say that the enhanced prefect program has not significantly improved their first-year experience.

Reacting to complaints that prefects were ineffective and unmonitored, program organizers instituted this fall regular meetings among prefects and created "Yard Captains" to monitor the activities of prefects.

"I think the progress has been tremendous," said Assistant Dean of Freshmen Jeannie Cialone, who heads the program out of the Freshman Dean's Office.

Participating prefects say the changes have revitalized the program and given the upperclassmen more guidance and support.

"I think the program is definitely superior to what it was last year because of the guidance," prefect veteran Isabella E. Fu '88 of Lowell House said. "Last year we didn't have too many meetings, and we weren't introduced to our prefect units until two weeks into the semester."

"This year, we were introduced earlier and people were more receptive, instead of saying, `Who are you?'" said Fu, adding that almost every prefect is more active than last year.

Freshmen interviewed in the Union said they have met with their prefects several times each month, at dinners in the Houses, on campus tours or trips into Boston, and during special picnics, movie dates or athletic activities.

But the same students said that while the prefects constituted a valuable resource, they were not important to their freshmen experience.

"They're good because they're there, but it'snot something essential," said Hurlbut freshmanNitza A. Agrait '91. "We're isolated on the Yardbut that's not like bad. I like living in theYard, and I can find about the Houses withouttheir help."

"They're good for moral support, and they'renice because they're someone to talk to, but Ihaven't needed them," said one Grays freshman whowished to remain anonymous.

Several students went as far as to say that theperfect system still played absolutely no role inYard life.

"They're not significant at all. They alwayshave these activities planned that no one caresabout," said a Grays freshman from Massachusetts.

Upperclassmen interviewed said they wish theprefect program had been more active when theywere Yardlings.

Eliot House resident Sandy E. Kahn '90 said,"It would have been really nice to talk to someonefreshman week and when you're choosingconcentrations, but we didn't see our prefectuntil December."

Lee M. Sanders '90 from Winthrop said,"Prefects have a potential to add something togive us a sense of university life and what'sgoing on on campus," that he missed.

"I actually worked with one of my prefects forthree weeks second semester before I realized whoshe was," he added.

Cialone said that organizers will continue toevaluate the program and make improvements asnecessary.

"This is the first program of its kind that hassurvived," she said. "It's a hard program tosupport because it's big and it has a broad scope,and we're improving it every year.