Slashing For a Promotion

Women's Fencing

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

The good news was that a new and improved Harvard women's fencing team doubled its career Ivy win total last season.

The bad news was that that career Ivy win total was a single victory.

Womne's Fencing

1986-'87 Overall: 9-5

1986-'87 Ivy League: 1-3 (fourth)

Captain: Penelope Papailias

After going winless in its first four seasons as an Ivy sport, the Crimson has come away with one Ivy victory in each of the last two season.

And with the return of all five fencers who saw starting action last season, the Crimson figures to move up into the upper echelon of Ivy fencing.

"It really helps having all five fencers back," junior Kristina Perkin said. "We work with each other really well, and we know each other's strong points as well as weaknesses."

Junior Captain Penelope Papailias returns for her second year as Crimson captain. A leader by example, Papailias showed her fellow foilers just how its done, last year posting an incredible 46-6 individual record, including winning her first 16 matches of the season. Papailias--who captured the individual crown at the NE champs--also finished 10th individually in NCAA competition.

Sophomores Michelle Kosch (4-0 in the Crimson's 12-4 season opener over Brown) and Amy Neuhardt return to the starting lineup along with junior Amanda Leness, who also saw starting time last season.

Kosch and Neuhardt came along unexpectedly last year as freshmen, and by season's end both were contributing clutch wins to the Crimson effort.

While Harvard has had a tough time winning in the Ivy League, possessing a 2-22 lifetime Ivy record, it has dominated non-Ivy opponents, especially in the New England area, boasting a 69-39 non-Ivy record.

Harvard last year captured the New England championships for the second consecutive season, dropping only two of its 40 bouts, with Papailias and Perkin finishing first and third, respectively.

"We're definitly the strongest team in New England, hands down," said Papailias, a second-team Ivy pick last season. "But the Ivy League is really strong in fencing."

Harvard (1-0 overall) next will next meet Columbia Saturday at the Malkin Athletic Center. Columbia, which perienally is the Ivy runner-up to five-time champion Penn, will be considerably weaker with the graduation of two-time NCAA champion Katy Bilodeaux, who qualified for NCAA competition four consecutive seasons.

"She's gone, so we definitly have a chance to beat [Columbia]," said Papailias, who added that Penn is still the team to beat this year.

"Last year, we basically got together as a team," Papailias said. "We were a young team, and we got a lot of experience. This year, we've matured, although we are still a young team, and we're really motivated to do the best we can. We're definitely going to be a good team."