Soviets Hand Over Data To Clear Summit Snag

WASHINGTON--The Soviet Union has given the United States missile information required to close a nuclear arms control treaty, a high ranking U.S. official said yesterday, clearing up a last-minute snarl as the two sides prepare to sign the accord.

The passing of the information to American representatives in Geneva yesterday appeared to extinguish a flare-up less than a week before the commencement of summit talks here between President Reagan and Soviet Communist Party General Secretary Mikhail S. Gorbachev.

Earlier in the day, U.S. officials had notified the Soviets that they would hand over missile information only after the Soviets provided data of their own.

"We are ready, indeed eager, and we have been for some time to provide the remaining data as soon as the Soviets are ready," Charles E. Redman, the State Department spokesman, had said earlier.

At mid-afternoon, a senior official, briefing reporters at the White House on grounds he not be identified, said "we did get" the needed missile data from the Soviets. "It was turned over today in Geneva, and it is being studied," the official said, adding that he hoped this solved the problem.

Asked to analyze what went wrong, the official said, "Look, it's obvious that we are in an end game" with the Soviets as the time for treaty-signing draws near.

Redman's statement came on the heels of an angry Soviet blast from Geneva charging the United States with hampering completion of the treaty to ban intermediate-range nuclear missiles.