W. Squash Consoled

By Lori J. Lakin

Four Harvard women's squash players competed in the U.S. Women's Squash Nationals held at the University of Pennsylvania this past weekend.

Only Crimson Co-Captain Diane Edge reached the consolation championship finals, where she defeated Gail Ramsey, 15-10, 15-7, 17-16, and took fifth place overall in the tournament.

Edge, Harvard's number-one player, received a bye in the first round, and defeated Maggie Mquown, 3-0, in the second.

In the third round, Edge lost to top-seeded Sue Cogswell, 3-1, but because of the tourney's double elimination format, Edge got the chance to rebound in the consolation match and defeated Carol Waymuller, 3-1.

Edge then won by default over Sharon Shawaze and in the next round defeated Debbie Hodez, 3-2, semifinals. There, she disposed of Karen Celso, 3-2.

Harvard's other co-captain, Ingrid Boyum, had to bow out of the competition because of a sprained ankle after winning her first two rounds in five games each over Susan Reed and Diane Staley, a 1985 Harvard graduate.

Recquetwoman Emily Knowlton lost in her first-round match to Wendy Zarharko, 3-0, and had an equally bad time of it in her consolation match against Chris Shutz, falling 3-0.

Harvard Assistant Coach Phoebe Trubowitz lost to Jody Landis, 3-0, in the first round, topped Janie Coolridge, 3-1, in the consolation, but then defaulted to Ellie Pierce in the next round.

Former Penn player Alicia McConnell won the tournament, defeating Princeton's number-one player, Demer Holleran, 16-14, 18-15, 13-15, 15-7, in the championship finals.

The Crimson--whose overall season record stands at 5-0--will face Dartmouth Saturday afternoon at Hemenway Gym.