Currier Dance Marathon Will Rock Memorial Hall

In an effort to raise funds for Boston-area community service groups, Currier House will sponsor a 12-hour long dance marathon Saturday night in Memorial Hall.

The proceeds from the marathon, which chairman Jon D. Firester '87 expects to total around $15,000, will go towards funding five local community services: the Academy Homes Summer Youth Enrichment Programs, the Cambridge School Museum Program, the Earthen Vessels Afterschool Program, the Jefferson Park Drop-in and Writing Centers, the Mission Hill Afterschool Program and the Inner-City Outreach Program.

The marathon, which lasts from noon to midnight is "like an entrance test," said Jennifer A. O'Brien '88, one of the marathon's organizers. "As the dance goes on it becomes really `mate-y'; people become really supportive of each other.

This year's marathon will mark the fifth consecutive Currier House dance fund-raiser, where participants receive pledges for each hour they dance.

Organizers said the marathon grew out of an effort to get the House to help the community. "We wanted to do something creative that could bring the House together and serve the community," said Alan A. Khazei '83, one of the marathon's first organizers and currently resident tutor in pre-law and public service at Currier House. "The great thing about it is that it's constantly evolving...each year gets better, more organized, with a stronger base," Khazei said.

In choosing which groups were to benefit from the Currier Marathon, several factors were taken into account, Firester said. "The programs receiving funding had to benefit individuals in the Boston/Cambridge community directly," he said. "In addition, we favored organizations that encouraged Harvard students to get involved, and those organizations that are just starting out, because it was a risk for Harvard to sponsor us as we were a young project; we feel these groups deserve the same chance."

The final four hours of the dance are a party open to anyone. From 9 p.m. to 1 a.m. four live bands--The Hunger Artist, Seven Ugly Men, Men of Clay and Christian and the Infidels--will provide the music.

Though the dancers, for the most part, last the full twelve hours, they are given five minute breaks on the hour and a half hour dinner break. "As long as they stand and sway [they're] still in the contest," said O'Brien. The dancer that brings in the most pledges wins a trip for two to the Bahamas.