U.S. Warships Approach Beirut

Sighted Within 50 Miles of Lebanon

BEIRUT, Lebanon -- U.S. warships were reported within 50 miles of Lebanon yesterday and official sources in Cyprus said civilian aircraft flying near the ships were ordered by radio to veer off.

The warships of the 6th fleet were in international waters.

The sources in Cyprus, which lies 100 miles northwest of Beirut spoke on condition of anonymity.

The United states marshalled a strong battle group in the eastern Mediterranean over the past week in response to rising tensions in the Middle East and following a spate of kidnappings of foreigners in Lebanon.

The kidnappers, and Moslem leaders in Lebanon, warned that any military action by the United States would mean death for the captives.

Pentagon sources stressed in Washington yesterday that the U.S. battle groups had received no orders to prepare for any military operation.

The sources, who demanded anonymity, said the carriers Kennedy and Nimitz and a Mediterranean Amphibious Ready group of roughly 1900 Marines were steaming on a "routing patrol pattern" in the southeastern Mediterranean, south of Cyprus and relatively close to Lebanon.

The force consists of about 22 warships and 1900 more Marines were moved out of Spain yesterday to join the battle fleet.

Also yesterday, Iran's Foreign Ministry denied reports that Anglican Church hostage negotiator Terry Waite was held by Iranian Revolutionary Guards in Lebanon.

Lebanon's justice minister, Nabih Berri, said in Damascus, Syria on Monday that Waite had been "arrested" by the kidnappers. He did not elaborate.