Mark My Words

Ed Krayer's Difficult Goodbye

By Mark Brazaitis

To an athlete, a game is like a drug. The more you play, the more you want to play. If you've got the skill to put a ball through a hoop or move a puck up a sheet of ice, then there's something exciting, fulfilling, even necessary about using and exhibiting that skill.

If a game is like a drug, then Ed Krayer is going through withdrawal now. Cold Turkey.

Krayer, a sophomore forward on the men's hockey team, recently elected to take this semester off. A press release announcing Krayer's decision said he needs time to renew his interest in school. Apparently, playing hockey isn't reason alone to be at Harvard.

If there's anything that an athlete likes more than playing, it's winning. Krayer, the Crimson's second-line center, left a team which has a 15-2 record and a good shot at winning the ECAC and NCAA championships.

"It was a difficult decision," Krayer said. "I've been thinking about it for awhile. The one thing that kept me interested in school for the past year and a half was hockey. The problem is more me than it is Harvard."

The first game he missed was the opening game of the Beanpot. Over 14,000 people were on hand to watch and cheer as Harvard dropped a 5-4 overtime contest to Northeastern.

Krayer, wearing a coat and tie, stood next to the Harvard bench during the game. Powerless to help the team. Hungry to do so.

"It was frustrating," Krayer said. "I'd been thinking about what it would be like not to play hockey. And there I was on the sidelines."

Ed Krayer won't be coming back to Harvard this semester. He says he'll take a couple of weeks off and then look for a job. Meanwhile, his teammates will continue their drive for ECAC and NCAA glory.

They'll miss Krayer's smooth passing. They'll miss his productivity--in 16 games this year, Krayer recorded two goals and nine assists. They'll miss his presence on the second power play unit.

They'll miss him, but they'll go on.

During the Beanpot game, freshman John Murphy and junior Jerry Pawloski--who had just returned to action from a knee injury--alternated in Krayer's spot on the second line. In practice this week, defenseman Chris Biotti is playing in Krayer's place between left wing Steve Armstrong and right wing Tim Barakett.

"He was a big part of the team both on and off the ice," Barakett said. "It's especially hard to replace such a good player. But if it's best for him then everyone understands."

Before he announced his decision to leave the team, Krayer was worried about what his teammates might think. Would he be letting them down?

"My first concern was how my teammates would react," Krayer said. "I didn't want them to think I was quitting. But I talked to a lot of the guys on the team and they really understood. They go to the same school--they know how hard it is."

"I'm not going to lose touch with them," Krayer continued. "I'm going to come to every game. I'll be in the Garden [for the ECAA Championships.] And if they go to Detroit [for the NCAA finals], I'll get on a plane and go out there too."

Krayer doesn't know whether he'll be back next year. He'll give it some thought over the next couple of months and over the summer. If he does choose to come back for the fall semester next year, he'll play hockey.

"The most important thing is not the team,"Harvard Coach Bill Cleary said, "It's what's bestfor Eddie. I told him not to worry about the team.We'll plug away, doing our best."

"It's a long life," Cleary added. "A few years,a year, aren't going to matter. These thingshappen to a lot of people. A lot of people taketime off, not just athletes. Everyone needs sometime to get their act together. Eddie's doingwhat's best for him."

Ed Krayer is handsome and articulate. He'salso, as Harvard Captain Peter Chiarelli said, "alaid-back kind of guy." Easy to approach and talkto. Even after a loss.

Although he never was a big scorer for theCrimson, he did have shining moments. In thesecond game of the ECAC Semi-finals againstColgate last year, Krayer recorded a hat trick tolead the Crimson to a 6-4 victory.

This year, Krayer scored the Crimson's firstgoal of the season. Sadly, he won't be around toscore its last