Icemen Can Cadets In Trench War, 7-5

By Adam J. Epstein

The Harvard men's hockey team got back on its winning track last night as it thumped a stubborn Army squad, 7-5, in a controversial blood-stained contest at Bright Center.

It was the first win for the Crimson in nearly a month, and helped heal some of the psychological wounds suffered in back-to-back defeats to Yale and Northeastern.

On the other hand, it caused some physical wounds to Allen Bourbeau, as the first line center's chin was cut open during a five-minute second period brawl. The power-play opportunities which followed that altercation enabled the Crimson to score three quick goals and break open a 4-4 contest.

It was a rather sloppy win for Harvard, as the bigger Cadets took advantage of their bulk to disrupt the Crimson skating game and pound the fleet Harvard players into the boards.

"That's the way they play," fourth-line right wing Andy Janfanza said. "They're big guys who can't skate as well as we can, so they've got to clutch and grab you."

That strategy resulted in numerous power play chances for Harvard, however, and the Crimson's ability to capitalize on them made the difference in the contest.

As Crimson Coach Bill Clearly said. "They're a tough team to play--very physical. Thank God for they power play."

The fact that only one of Harvard's seven goals came in a five-on-five situation underscored a problem which the Crimson has all season--a dependence on the power play unit to score goals.

Lane MacDonald, who notched two power-play goals in the second period, said about the even-strength units: "They're just not clicking, our line in particular. We've had to rely on the power play. I don't know, maybe we're just waiting for it."

The Waiting

The waiting period ended at 15:53 of the second period, when the fight behind the Army net resulted in 11 minutes worth of penalties for the Cadet, and four for Harvard's Bourbeau. The fight started after Cadet left wing Watt Wilson was whistled for a two minute roughing penalty.

The three goals Harvard tallied in the following three minutes gave the Crimson a lead it would never relinquish.

That intense second period of play followed thirty minutes of uneventful hockey. At 9:03 of the second stanza, the game turned into a shooting gallery, as a MacDonald goal form just in front of the net gave Harvard a 3-2 lead, and opened the scoring floodgates.

In the most prodigious eleven minute burst of goal scoring this season, the Crimson bagged five tallies, while Army scooted two pucks past John Devin, who was playing between the pipes for the first time since January 10.

The game was the second straight in which Harvard gave up five goals. "I didn't feel good out there, I had a little trouble picking up the rebounds," Devin said. "But I'll be a little sharper next time."

"We showed a little lack of intensity out there [on defense]," Jerry Pawloski agreed.

Forwarded

Perhaps the defense was suffering from the loss of Chris Biotti, who has taken the departed Ed Krayer's position as the center of the second line.

This was the 6-ft., 3-in., 200 pound sophomore's first action on offense since he was five years old. "The coach came up to me and said "listen, I need a center'," Biotti said. "I'm glad he did because I love it. Once I erase my defensive programming, I'll be all right."

The Crimson seems to be all right as well. Bourbeau's chin will heal, the team's 25-game unbeaten streak at the Bright Center remains intact, and Army still has not defeated Harvard since 1964.

"It's nice to be back in the win column," Cleary said. "That's what counts."

Crimson, 7-5 at Bright Center Army  1-3-1--5 Harvard  2-5-0--7

First Period--1, A, Ed Melanson (Rich Sheridan, Rob Brenner) 4:06; 1, H, Don Sweeney (C.J. Young) 9:32; 2, H, Allen Bourbeau (Lane MacDonald, Tim Barakett) 14:35. Penalties--Mark Benning, H, (tripping) 3:27; Kevin Keenan, A, (tripping); Steve Armstrong, H, (tripping) 9:36; A, Mark Hill (check fom behind) 13:53; H, Nick Carone (tripping)19:07.

Second Period--2, A, Keenan (Brenner, Matt Wilson) 0:48; 3, H, MacDonald (Randy Taylor, Barakett) 9:03; 3, A, Keenan (Brenner, Neil Minihane) 9:54; 4, H, John Murphy (Andy Janfanza, Bourbeau) 10: 42; 4, A, Mike Chenette (John Farnham, Rich Sheridan) 14:23; 5, H, Taylor (Benning, Barakett) 16:25; 6, H, Barakett (Benning, Taylor) 19:33; 7, H, Macdonald (Barakett) 19:44. Penalties--Mark Hudak, A, (tripping) 4:35; Scott Schulze, A, (holding) 8:07; Armstrong, H, (checking from behind) 12:00; Bourbeau, H, (roughing) 15:53; ,Matt Wilson, A, (roughing) 15:53; Brenner, A, (cross checking) 15:53; Minihane, A, (late hit) 15:53.

Third Period--5, A, Hill (unassisted) 4:01. Penalties--Armstrong, H, (holding) 2:20; Farnham, A, (interference) 9:11; Hudak, Army (high sticking) 10:12; Bourbeau, H, (high sticking) 10:12; Nick Carone, H, (hooking) 14:12; Butch Cutone, H, (tripping) 16:47; Benning, H, (interference) 17:51.

Saves--H, John Devin 6-7--16; A, Paul DeGironimo 12-12-x--24, Corey Averill x-x-12--12

A--2850