Frosh Administration Requests Return of Illegally Duplicated Yard and Union Master Keys

In an attempt to increase security, the Freshman Dean's Office has asked freshman who have illegally copied Yard master keys to return them and decrease the number of keys in circulation.

However, both students and administrators were skeptical about the effects of the request which was printed in the January 22 Yard Bulletin.

"Maybe we're making a mountain out of a molehill," said Dean of Freshmen Henry C. Moses. "I don't know if it'll solve the problem, but we may as well try. If some of the keys are turned in, that's good."

Officials said that concern for security prompted the request. "The more keys that are out, the more likelihood of theft or destruction," said Tom Hassan, senior advisor for Union dorms. He said he thinks a lot of the keys "pass through the hands of upperclassmen" who have obtained and then duplicated them.

The attempt to recover copied keys won't be "monumental," says Associate Dean of Freshmen Burris Young. He said Facilities Superintendent Eric Engel suggested that the notice be printed.

Moses said illegal copying and use of master keys is an old issue that the administration periodically decides to raise with students.

Bill T. Brazell '90 called the request of the administration "ineffective, ridiculous, and ludicrous," and said he doubted anyone would heed the request.

Students who work on the dorm crew, deliver newspapers, or have other jobs that require them to enter all of the dorms are allowed to possess pass keys, but College policy forbids other students from copying these keys.

Some freshmen said the University policy is pointless because their own dorm keys already open several neighboring dorms.

"It makes sense to have a key to all of the freshmen dorms; we have one that will open three dorms, so why not all of them?" said one freshman.

Others said that having the key is "convenient" and easier than phoning friends orbanging on doors to be let in.

"The Centrex phones aren't located everywhere,and they are a hassle to use," said a freshman