A History of Harvard's 20-Win Seasons

Last night the Harvard men's hockey team struck both silver and gold.

The Crimson's 4-1 ECAC semifinal victory over RPI at Boston Garden gave it 25 wins for the season and 50 over the last two years.

This year's team and the 1985-'86 edition now share the Harvard record for most wins in a season.

Only eight Harvard teams have won more than 20 games in a season. Here's a look at the Crimson 20 game winners.

1956-'57 All-American Robert Cleary, the brother of current Harvard Coach Bill, scores 36 goals and has 37 assists in only 26 games for the Crimson. Harvard, under Coach Ralph 'Cooney' Weiland, makes it to the NCAA Tournament, but falls, 6-1, in the first round to Michigan. Final record: 21-5.

1961-'62 Gene Kinasewich leads the Crimson in scoring with 20 goals and 20 assists. Tim Taylor, now Yale's coach, scores 23 goals, while Captain Dave Grannis nets 10. Defenseman Dave Johnston is named to the First-Team All-American squad. Harvard loses in the second round of the ECAC Tournament to St. Lawrence, 6-5. Final record: 21-5.

1962-'63 Captain Tim Taylor scores 22 goals and has 17 assists. Kinasewich scores an overtime goal against Boston College in the ECAC finals to give Harvard a 4-3 victory and its first ECAC championship. Final record: 21--3--2.

1974-'75 Captain and All-American Randy Roth scores 21 goals and has 29 assists, while goaltender Brian Petrovak posts a 2.84 goals-against average. Final record: 23-6.

1982-'83 Senior defenseman Mark Fusco wins the Hobey Baker Award as the outstanding player in college hockey. He scores 46 points, a single-season Harvard record for defensemen. Mark's brother, Scott, leads the Crimson in scoring with 33 goals and 22 assists, while Grant Blair posts a 2.74 goals-against average. Harvard makes it to the NCAA championship game, but falls to Wisconsin, 6-2. Final record: 23-9-2.

1984-'85 Scott Fusco leads the Crimson with 34 goals and 47 assists. Fusco scores at least one point in 29 consecutive games. Defenseman Randy Taylor contributes six goals and 30 assists as the Crimson once again makes it to the NCAA Tournament. The squad is eliminated after losing two quarterfinal games to UMD, each by the score of 4-2. Final record: 21-9-2.

1985-'86 Scott Fusco, who becomes Harvard's career scoring leader, wins the Hobey. He scores 24 goals and has 44 assists, while right wing Tim Smith--a happy-go-lucky skater with a deadly slapshot--chips in 28 goals and 27 assists. Blair records a 2.72 goals-against average and posts a 24-6-1 record. This Crimson team makes it to the NCAA Tournament final, but falls to Michigan State, 6-5. Final record: 25-8-1.