Plane Safety

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

I am writing concerning John N. Rosenthal's "Stuff I Think" editorial (April 28) entitled "The Plane Truth." As a pilot and a frequent airline passenger myself, I find Mr. Rosenthal's comments about the inconveniences of plane travel amusing and even somewhat constructive. But I must question his comments regarding seat belt use in airplanes, for I beleive they make humor at the expense of safety.

Rosenthal says "God only knows why they have seat belts in airplanes," and goes on to question their usefulness. Seat belts are an absolutely essential safety appliance in any airplane. During critical takeoff and landing maneuvers any one of a number of situations may occur requiring the crew to take emergency action resulting in rapid acceleration or deceleration. People not wearing seatbelts in such situations would certainly incur injuries through impact with bulkheads, seatbacks and even other passengers. Furthermore, during the enroute phase of flight, turbulence may be encountered which, besides just jarring the aircraft, can place it in a momentary "freefall" condition.

During such a freefall unfastened objects such as food carts and Mr. Rosenthal may hit the cabin roof. For good reason, therefore, Federal Aviation Regulations require that airline passengers wear seatbelts during takeoff and landing and whenever the pilot, expecting of encountering turbulence, turns on the seatbelt sign. This isn't just "stuff I think"; it is stuff that every safe pilot and passenger knows. William E, Meyer, Jr, '88   President, Harvard Flying Club