Execs Want Better Science Education

By Melissa A. Langley

America's top Fortune 500 executives believe problems in the educational system and a lack of competence in the workforce has led to a serious decline in the country's technological competitiveness, according to a report released yesterday at the Boston Museum of Science by GTE Laboratories.

"It is clear that the loss of America's edge in the world economy is an issue that has heightened the public's awareness of world competitiveness and technical competence," said Dr. C. David Decker, vice-president of GTE Labs speaking at a museum forum marking National Technology Day.

In response to this concern, two thirds of the executives surveyed by GTE over the past year said they felt the government could improve the situation by encouraging more technologically-oriented education.

State Rep. Chester Atkins (D-Mass.), speaking at the forum, agreed that the country "needs a federal program with private sector participation."

Atkins said that many federal programs begun in the past to improve the U.S.'s position in the world market have been ignored by the current administration.

"Most Japanese technological literature is not translated into English," he said, "and therefore not available to [U.S.] labs." Atkins said the Japanese government already employs over 1000 workers who do nothing but translate U.S. technological material into Japanese.

Schools

While several speakers said there is a need for increased educational efforts by the government, Robert E. Bunnell, superintendent of schools in Norwell, said, "The only time we take any notice of education is when we're afraid of something."

Bunnell compared the concern over Japan's technological advancements to the excitement in the 1960s over Russia's advancements in space. These concerns caused a renewed interest in math and science education 20 years ago, he said.

"I suggest the problem is not simply with technology. We need an improved commitment to education," he said.