Major League Wrap

Yankees 2, Tigers 1

Rickey Henderson's two-out double in the 10th inning drove home Claudell Washington, and the New York Yankees beat the Detroit Tigers, 2-1, yesterday in the American League opener for both teams.

It was the first opening day victory on the road for the Yankees since they beat the Washington Senators in 1969.

After Detroit starter Jack Morris retired the first two New York batters in the 10th, Washington singled and took third on Wayne Tolleson's single. Henderson then doubled.

Morris allowed nine hits, walking two and striking out four.

Dave Righetti, who took over in the eighth for starter Dennis Rasmussen, got the victory.

Blue Jays 7, Indians 3

Lloyd Moseby homered and drove in three runs and Jimmy Key pitched three-hit ball for six innings yesterday to lead the Toronto Blue Jays over the Cleveland Indians 7-3 in the American League opener for both teams.

Willie Upshaw also homered as Toronto rapped 11 hits. Tony Fernandez hit an RBI triple and Jesse Barfield and rookie Mike Sharperson added RBI doubles.

Key and relievers Mark Eichhorn and Tom Henke combined on a six-hitter.

Key gave up a two-run homer to Pat Tabler in the fourth. He struck out three and walked three.

Orioles 2, Rangers 1

Larry Sheets' ninth inning sacrifice fly scored pinch-runner Rene Gonzalez with an unearned run to give the Baltimore Orioles a 2-1 victory over the Texas Rangers yesterday in the opener for both teams.

With one out in the bottom of the ninth, Ray Knight singled off reliever Greg Harris (0-1) and Gonzalez ran for him. Gonzalez went to third when Harris' pickoff throw to first went wild and Harris then walked Terry Kennedy and Jim Dwyer intentionally.

White Sox 5, Royals 4

Harold Baines and Tim Hulett hit RBI singles in a four-run second inning and Richard Dotson recovered from a shaky start yesterday, leading the Chicago White Sox to a 5-4 opening day victory over the Kansas City Royals.

Dotson gave up eight hits and four runs in 61/3 innings. Bobby Thigpen pitched 21/3 innings and Bob James got the final out for a save.

Danny Jackson was the loser, giving up five runs in 61/3 innings.

Bo Jackson, Kansas City's celebrated rookie, went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.

Reds 11, Expos 5

Terry Francona and Barry Larkin hit two-run homers in a nine-run fourth inning yesterday that powered the Cincinnati Reds to an 11-5 victory over the Montreal Expos in the traditional National League opener.

Eric Davis went 3-for-3 with a homer, drove in two runs, stole two bases and scored three times as the Reds overcame a 5-1 third-inning deficit.

Cincinnati sent 12 batters to the plate against loser Floyd Youmans and two relievers in the fourth.