SPORTS SHORTS

After leading Harvard to its first-ever Ivy League title earlier this season, women's hockey Coach John Dooley has been named the CCM women's hockey Coach of the Year.

Under Dooley's guidance, the icewomen reeled off a school-record 19 victories during the 1986-'87 season, including a perfect 10-0 mark in the Ivy League.

The squad's biggest win of the year came in the final of the Ivy League Tournament, where Harvard squeaked past Princeton, 2-1, in double overtime, to gain a first-ever appearance in the ECAC Tournament.

Dooley, who completed his sixth season at the helm, has compiled an 82-46-3 overall record at Harvard. He has also coached the Crimson to two Beanpot titles.

The Harvard men's and women's basketball teams recently announced their captains for the 1987-'88 season.

Juniors Kyle Dodson and Bill Mohler and sophomore Mike Gielen will replace graduating seniors Arne Duncan and Keith Webster as captains of the men's squad. All three enjoyed the best year of their careers in the cagers' disappointing 9-17 campaign.

Dodson started 23 of Harvard's 26 games, averaging a career-high 9.4 points on the season. Mohler averaged 5.5 points and recorded a team-leading 5.5 rebounds per contest, while also leading the club with 32 blocked shots. Gielen, meanwhile, finished fourth on the Crimson in scoring (10.2 points per game) and was the team leader in assists (106).

The women cagers also elected a trio of players to captain next year's squad. Juniors Sharon Hayes, Barbarann Keffer and Beth Chandler will try to help the Crimson improve on its 13-13 season of 1986-'87.

Hayes, who earned Second-Team All-Ivy honors as a co-captain of this year's squad, led the team in scoring with 14.4

Hayes, who earned Second Team All-Ivy honors, led the team in scoring with 14.4 points per game, while Keffer averaged 11.4 p.p.g. Chandler rejoins the cagers after missing a year with a knee injury.

Several members of the Harvard women's swimming team were named recently to the 1987 All-East squad.

Receiving First-Team All-East honors were Mia Costello (100-yd. and 200-yd. breaststroke), Kaari Reierson (200-yd. backstroke), Jenny Greene (three-meter diving), and the team of Sheila Findley, Costello, Mary Quinn, and Linda Suhs (200-yd. Medley Relay).

Named to the Second-Team All-East squad were Greene (one-meter diving), Findley (100-yd. backstroke), Reierson (400-yd. individual medley), the team of Nina Anderson, Quinn, Molly Clark and Suhs (200-yd. freestyle relay), the team of Findley, Costello, Quinn and Janice Sweetser (400-yd. medley relay), and the team of Suhs, Quinn, Clark and Sweetser (400-yd. freestyle relay).

Harvard swimmers also dominated both the First-and Second-Team All-Ivy line-ups. --Compiled from Harvard Sports News Office releases