Tunnel Money Earns Praise

Mass. Pols Welcome Fed Highway Funding

By Martha A. Bridegam

Boston's $3.1 billion share of the Federal Highway bill that survived a Presidential veto last week received plaudits from Massachusetts politicans of all parties yesterday.

Governor Michael S. Dukakis told state officials and members of the Massachusetts Congressional delegation yesterday that Congress had performed a ``miracle'' in saving the $87.9 billion bill. The bill authorizes federal funding to widen and lower Boston's Central Artery and to dig a third harbor tunnel that would accommodate 40,000 cars daily.

Some Senate Republicans have described the plan as ``a goodbye present for [former Speaker of the House Thomas P.] `Tip' O'Neill,'' President Reagan and his Congressional supporters have characterized the package as a classic example of the Democratic "pork barrel" politics which were often associated with O'Neill's career.

However, local Republican legislators, who traditionally oppose state spending, also found little fault with the bill, which will create and estimated 6000 jobs in Eastern Massachusetts.

The compromise that led the package to success includes mass transit projects in large Eastern states that greased the decision for several Senate Republicans, and a provision allowing states to raise the speed limit from 55 to 65 miles per hour, which gave a powerful incentive to legislators from rural Western states.

Political consultant Michael Goldman said yesterday the bill does contain "other projects that are a little questionable in nature." He said that Massachusetts received a leaner portion than many other states, as its funding provides mostly for necessary repairs on the highway system.

The Artery project is essential to the city's future because "we're talking about repairs for highways that are collapsing under their own weight."

"It's so pared down--they went for what they could get. They needed the tunnel and they needed the expressway," said Goldman, who described the overall bill as "an eclectic piece of business."

"There were definite concerns about some of the pork in the bill," said Brad Minnick, chief of staff for State House Minority Leader Steven Pierce. "[Pierce's] general philosophy is one of great concern for how the taxpayers' dollars are spent."

State Sen. David H. Locke, who directed both of Reagan's Massachusetts campaigns, takes a dimmer view of the bill, said his spokesman Dan Eramian.

"What they say [the package] is going to cost today and what it's actually going to cost are two different figures, so we still haven't told the American people what it may actually end up costing," Eramian said.

But he added that Locke is "pleased" with the planned tunnel.

While the $87.9 billion package faces some criticism in Boston, one of the more controversial issues will be whether the current plan to lower the Central Artery will destroy North End neighborhoods in Boston.