Center

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

We would like to respond to your article of May 1 ("Middle East Center to Regroup") concerning the Center for Middle Eastern Studies. We have some objections to The Crimson's handling of the story and its portrayal of the Center.

While it is true that CMES has been encountering difficulties in the areas of structure, coordination of resources, and curriculum planning, we reject the implication that all of CMES's problems can be pinned to the events of 1986. Even more, however, we reject the implication that the Center has been stagnating and disintegrating ever since then. Due in large part to new junior and senior faculty members and a new student organization, activities have increased in quality, quantity, and breadth, giving the Center a new vitality.

Those people--students, faculty, and staff--actively involved in the Center's life and future were never asked their opinions or views about the issues you raised. Did your reporter even come to 1737 Cambridge Street, where the Center is located? By ignoring what is going on here, your newspaper is missing the real story.

Fundamentally, you neglected the fact that CMES is a department of Harvard University, whose primary goal is the education of students. It is time to stop referring to a past scandal every time CMES is mentioned, and to start invoking the support of the Harvard community for this integral and important part of the University. Krisen Brustad   Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations   Sarah Chayes   History and Middle Eastern Studies   Nadia El-Cheikh   History and Middle Eastern Studies