Telegram Highlights Dinner

By Laurie M. Grossman

The floor show was even spicier than the food at the University-sponsored award dinner for Harvard police Wednesday night.

Vice President and General Counsel Daniel Steiner '54, the top administrator in charge of the police, received a mid-meal surprise in the from of a singing telegram complete with a police cap and jacket.

The singing telegram--which included a ballad and a kiss for Steiner--was a subtle reminder of the 17-month old contract dispute between Harvard's police union and theadministration.

"I've been in a lot of labor disputes but thisone has class," Steiner said, prompting laughterand applause.

The Harvard University Police Association(HUPA), the union which represents Harvard's 41patrol officers, hired the telegram. Contractnegotiations have not been reconvened sinceFebruary when the University negotiator walked outon talks.

Steiner laughed as the woman sang, "We turn toMr. Steiner knowing he can help use, looking forsome answers but still no contract. We're stillchasing criminals though we have no contract."

Steiner said yesterday that the University willtry to work out a contract with the union thissummer.

"Forty people dealing with Harvard is likemoving an elephant; there is not much leverage,"said Bill Donaldson, the union's treasurer.

Most of the 26 award recipients sported buttonsin support of the union as Steiner and PoliceChief Paul E. Johnson handed them theircertificate of honor. Steiner praised the policeofficers, calling them a "credit to theUniversity."

The union has been giving its own plaudits,running a "police honor roll" in The Crimson forthe past two weeks, heralding the heroic acts forwhich the officers were honored.

The ads were intended to publicize that Harvardpolice officers do handle dangerous crimes,including armed robbery and loaded handgunpossession, union officials said.

"The thing Harvard is most afraid of ispublicity," said a former police officer at thedinner who asked to remain anonymous. "Peoplearen't aware of these crimes because Harvard likesto keep things in the dark."

The ads also let the public know about theduties of officers who patrol areas outsideCambridge, such as confronting armed criminals in themedical area, according to Donaldson. Two officerswere awarded for arresting a criminal onMassachusetts' 10 most wanted list at the MedicalSchool, following a chase and violent struggle.

By publishing the ads, the union officialsrisked violating prohibitions in their oldcontract against speaking to the public aboutcases, rather than referring questions to theJohnson or Deputy Chief Jack Morris.

The ads did not violate the police contractbecause they did not release private records,Steiner said.

Officers were honored at Wednesday night'sceremonies for service "above and beyond the callof duty" and their conduct in life endangeringcases. The prestigious award for valor, whichhonors bravery in the face of personal injuryrisk, went to John Rooney who chased and disarmeda burglar.

While the officers said they appreciated theawards, they added they might have preferred a newcontract. "I got two awards, I still need acontract. If they want me to do as good job as aHarvard policeman, they have to make it worth mywhile," said Officer Edward Sheridan, who washonored for disarming an armed person in QuincyHouse and catching a thief who stole $1300 ofstereo equipment