PBH, Lampy Sponsor Comedy Night Benefit

Sober academic pursuits bowed to knee-slapping humor as more than 1000 students flocked to Sanders Theatre to attend Harvard's third Comedy Night on Saturday.

The two performances, which raised $4200 for Phillips Brooks House (PBH), featured New York City-based comedians Ben Creed and Rick Crom.

The proceeds from the 8 and 10 p.m. shows--which were sponsored by PBH and the Harvard Lampoon--will support PBH's various public service programs. Proceeds came from the $5 admission charge and a donation from the Lampoon.

Jonathan H. Lawrence '90, the founder and organizer of Comedy Night, said he thought the event went off very well. The comedians were both "hilarious" and the turnout was great, Lawrence said.

Lawrence said the New York comedians enjoyed the Harvard audience and were impressed with students' ability to understand subtle jokes.

Saturday's event was the third comedy night in two years. Lawrence, who has organized all three events, indicated that he hopes to hold another comedy night in the spring.

"The performances were very enjoyable," said David S. Cohen '88, the president of the Lampoon. "Anyone who missed it missed out," he said.

"It's obvious that Comedy Night is popular enough and profitable enough to become a tradition," Cohen said, adding that the Lampoon would be eager to sponsor future shows.

PBH President Shawn A. MacDonald '88 concurred, calling the event an "extremely successful" fundraiser.

Creed kept the audience on their toes not only with his jokes and temporary junkets into the crowd, but by ridiculing students who make late entrances or early exits.

Crom's appeal came particularly from his use of the piano, students who attended the show said. Students said they found his three renditions of "Mary Had a Little Lamb"--in the imitative styles of Stephen Sondheim, the Bee Gees and Bruce Springsteen--particularly entertaining.

Douglas K. Briody '91 described the performance as "an excellent chance to experience fine comedy from some of best in the business."