Flutie to Start for Patriots

FOXBORO, Mass.--Doug Flutie is slated to start at quarterback again for the New England Patriots Sunday when the Cincinnati Bengals bring their six-game NFL unbeaten string to Sullivan Stadium.

"After looking at the film, I think Doug did some good things out there," Coach Raymond Berry said Monday after reviewing the 45-3 loss by the Patriots to the Green Bay Packers. "He had some bad luck."

Flutie got the starting nod against Green Bay and had three passes intercepted, which the Packers turned into 10 points. However, when veteran Steve Grogan took over, he was intercepted twice, good for 14 points.

"A few of the balls were tipped," said Berry. "But Doug is improving. We all have to improve."

Flutie said after the game that the Patriots were able to move the ball well enough in the first half, but couldn't get it into the end zone.

The Injury Report

The Patriots, now 2-4 on the season, may get back wide receiver Irving Fryar for the Cincinnati game. He was sidelined Sunday by a bruised right thigh.

Running back Craig James, who had a shoulder separation, said he might be able to play Sunday, also.

Highly Strung

Berry said tight end Russ Francis, out for three games with a hamstring injury, was expected back at practice today. He said linebacker Andre Tippett, who missed three games with a groin pull, is a possibility.

The Patriots were also expected to recall wide receiver Dennis Gadbois from the injured list to replace Stanley Morgan, who suffered a concussion in Sunday's game.