Citystep Bar Closed Early Due to Illness

By Rebecca A. Jeschke

The bar at Saturday night's sold. out CityStep Ball was closed by police at about 11 p.m. because one female guest became seriously ill because of alcohol, according to organizers.

In addition. said Stephanie A. Altman '90, executive producer of CityStep, "a few others had problems" from drinking too much at the Memorial Hall event.

However, benefit ball coordinator Grace K. Won '89 said she thought the ball went "very well" and that the closing down of the bar did not detract from the event. "CityStep is a good cause, people were there for a good reason, and we put on a really good party. People were psyched for it anyway," Won said, She added that non-alcoholic drinks were available throughout the evening.

The ball was held as a fundraiser but also to increase awareness of CityStep as a program that teaches dancing to underpriviledged Cambridge children, Altman said.

Under Cambridge and Harvard rules, hired police officers must be present at all large dances. Drinks were served by University-sponsored bartenders who checked i.d.s. Altman said, adding, "We were as strict as we could be." Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III was also there for most of the event, she said.

Altman said she did not think the incident would cause any change in the ball's drinking policy.

Won said she thought the drinking incident was "a rumor blown way out of proportion." She said, "[The woman] wasn't as sick as everyone thought she was."

Organizers said they will not know how much money was raised until the end of the week, when the bills from putting on the dance come in.