Baseggio Finishes 4th In Epee Tournament

By Casey J. Lartigue jr.

Harvard epee fencer Franco Baseggio placed fourth in a field of 19 fencers in the Williams College Epee tournament Saturday in William-stown.

Baseggio, a freshman on the Crimson epee squad, advanced to the finals of the round-robin tournament.

The 19 fencers were divided into three sections. Four fencers in each pool advanced to the second round, and three advanced from the second round to the final.

After barely advancing to the second round with a 2-3 record in the first round, Baseggio posted 3-2 records in the final two rounds.

Harvard Co-Captain Adam Weintraub was eliminated in the first round and Anthony Loeser won his first round pool, compiling a 5-1 record, but was eliminated in the second round with a 2-3 record.

"I was pleased to come in fourth," Baseggio said. "I sort of squeaked by in a few."

Yale, which finished second in the Ivy League last year, took the top three spots in the Invitational.

The Harvard men's and women's fencing teams next see action in February against Princeton. The swordsmen (3-2 overall, 1-1 Ivy) and swordswomen (4-1 overall, 1-1 Ivy) each ended the first portion of their seasons with three victories against one defeat two weeks ago in New York.