Host Minutemen Ambush Laxmen, 7-5

By Chris Thorne

When you out-hustle, out-shoot and out-play your opponent, you win, right? Wrong.

In a battle of top-notch goalies yesterday, the Harvard men's lacrosse team fell to the University of Massachusetts, 7-5, despite outshooting the Minutemen, 22 to 19, winning most ground balls and having possession for most of the game.

"We played well," Tri-Captain Richard van der Broek said. "We were beating them to ground balls and I thought we were going to win the game."

"We were basically unlucky," defensive midfielder Chris Bentley said. "We definitely dominated the game. We hit the posts four times with shots that should have gone in."

UMass ranks first in New England and among the top five squads in the country.

Shooting 37 percent for the day, the Minutemen racked up seven goals against the Crimson defense. Leading the UMass offense was Jim McAleavey, who posted a hat trick and one assist. The additional UMass goals were shared among Chris Zusa, Jamie Bergan, Greg Callins and Scott Hiller.

"Zusa cleared the ball well for them," Crimson Manager Stacy Berg said. "He was all over the field."

"It seemed that they were more opportunistic than we were," said Harvard Tri-Captain Bill Pennoyer. "We out-did them in everything but they outscored us."

Harvard played an aggressive game both offensively and defensively. Michael Cavouti, a Junior World team selection, recorded a hat trick for Harvard. Cavouti started the scoring parade in the first quarter with an assist from Perry Dodge.

The Crimson went scoreless in the second quarter, but came back strong in the third as Cavouti put in a pair and sophomore David Kramer netted one with an assist from senior Neil Garfinkle. Brad Raymond tallied Harvard's fifth and final point in the fourth period with an assist from Steve Lux.

The Crimson offense managed 22 shots on goal, but UMass goalie Sal Locasio saved 17. Locasio is ranked second nationally behind top-ranked Harvard goalie Mike Bergmann.

"Both gave huge games," van der Broek said. "We were beating Locasio in the second quarter. Rob Griffith took a shot that everyone thought was in, but it hit the post."

Harvard currently ranks fourth in New England and 10th nationally. The loss to UMass may not influence the Crimson's post-season aspirations, since UMass was ranked higher than Harvard entering the game.

Saturday the Crimson travels to New Haven for a face-off against Yale, which currently ranks second in New England and eighth nationally.

"If we beat Yale then we have a really good shot at the playoffs," Bentley said. "But if we lose then we're out."