IOP Head Named To Replace Meese

By Colin F. Boyle, wire dispatches

President Reagan has chosen Institute of Politics (IOP) director and former Pennsylvania Gov. Richard L. Thornburgh to replace Attorney General Edwin Meese III, a knowledgeable administration source said yesterday.

The source, who declined to be identified, said that Thornburgh, who once headed the Justice Department's criminal division, had accepted the offer. Thornburgh was in Washington yesterday and could not be reached for comment.

Reagan told reporters earlier yesterday that he would soon appoint a successor for Meese, who announced last week that he would leave the Justice Department by early August. Meese said he had been vindicated by Independent Counsel James McKay's investigation of alleged wrongdoing during Meese's tenure as attorney general.

Reagan, asked during a photo opportunity about Meese's successor, declined to be specific about the timing of an announcement.

"Anyone we know?" a reporter asked.

"You've probably heard of him," the president replied.

Presidential spokesman Marlin Fitzwater refused to confirm or deny that Reagan has settled on Thornburgh, who has served as head of the IOP since last year. Fitzwater said "it's probably likely that [Reagan] has decided, but he has not made an offer."

Cable News Network reported that Thornburgh,who left the Pennsylvania governorship last yearafter serving two four-year terms, had beeninterviewed by White House General Counsel A.B.Culvahouse.

Kennedy School Dean Graham T. Allison '62yesterday released a statement saying thatThornburgh was a superb choice for the post, butthat the K-School would be sorry to see him go.

"We were responding to press reports" inissuing the statement, Kennedy School spokesmanSteven Singer said. "Basically, the dean said thatif the speculation were true he would not besurprised because [Thornburgh] would be a fineAttorney General and has been an excellent IOPdirector."

White House Chief of Staff Kenneth Dubersteinspoke for half an hour yesterday afternoon withSen. John Heinz (R-Pa.) about his view of aThornburgh nomination, said Heinz spokesmanRichard Bryers.

"Heinz said it would be an excellent choice,"said Bryers, adding that the senator has knownThornburgh for more than 20 years. "Thornburgh isan outstanding administrator, a tough prosecutorand a man whose integrity is unmatched."

Bryers said last night that he had expected theadministration to make the announcement tomorrowor Thursday. Although he did not know ifThornburgh had been offered the post, Bryers saidthat "he's obviously on a very short list."

Asked about the report, Fitzwater said, "Youknow my policy on personnel matters is to neitherconfirm nor deny. The president has not talked toThornburgh or anyone else."

Elsie Hillman, head of George Bush'spresidential campaign in Pennsylvania and aRepublican National Committee member, said inHarrisburg, Pa., that she was told by Bushcampaign officials that Thornburgh had been askedto take the job.

Hillman also said that Thornburgh, who has beenrumored as a possible vice presidential runningmate for Bush, had agreed to take the job.

Fitzwater said "you know that names pop up,people weigh in and they have to go throughbackground checks. So, we just have to avoid theseconfirmations." The spokesman did confirm thatReagan aides spent much of the weekend discussingwho to nominate as Meese's successor.

Colleagues of Thornburgh said they were happyfor the former governor and wished him luck at thehead post in the Justice Department.

"I'm delighted and think that Gov. Thornburghwill make a very good Attorney General," saidformer Assistant Secretary of Commerce Clarence J.Brown, who served as an IOP fellow this spring."My guess is he may be around for a secondadministration," should Bush win in the fall, headded