Bruins Tackle Quebec

QUEBEC--Cam Neely scored two goals as the Boston Bruins defeated Quebec, 4-2, last night, handing the Nordiques their fifth consecutive loss.

Boston took a 3-1 lead into the third period, but Quebec made it close when Walt Poddubny pounced on a Randy Moller rebound and beat Rejean Lemelin at 9:10 of the third period.

Neely put the game away when he took a pass from Steve Kasper and stuffed the puck past Mario Gosselin on the backhand as he was skating past the net.

Neely and John Carter got things started for Boston with goals 68 seconds apart in the first period.

Randy Burridge also scored for the Bruins, who won for the third time in five starts, while Paul Gillis had Quebec's other goal.

Gosselin turned in a strong game in goal for Quebec, facing 34 shots, while Lemelin faced 27 shots.

The Bruins outshot the struggling Nordiques by a 13-3 margin while taking a 2-0 lead in the opening period.

Neely opened the scoring for Boston at 13:38 mark, beating Gosselin from close range on a one-on-one confrontation. He got his 14th goal of the season high on the glove side after taking a pass from Bob Joyce just inside the Nordiques blueline.

A little more than a minute later, Carter doubled the lead coming out from the right corner after Quebec defenseman Curtis Leschyshyn had fallen. Carter skated out and beat Gosselin with a shot through traffic.