Lamont Library Gets Carpeting

'Ultraviolet Plus' Rug Intended to End Squeaking Noises

The main floor of Lamont Library has a new look this fall, bedecked in "Ultraviolet Plus" carpeting designed to quell the squeakiness of the cork tile floor.

Funded by a $50,000 donation from the grandson of the library's benefactor, the carpet was selected by members of the Lamont Beautification Committee, said Heather E. Cole, librarian of Lamont and Hilles. Cole said the rug was part of a plan to cover the cork in all public areas of the building.

The tight-weave mauve rug, which was installed in August and September, is expected to stomp out complaints about noise that Cole said have been numerous in the past.

"The noise became a very important issue for students over the past 15 years," said Cole, adding, "I've been planning for a carpet for almost the entire time I've been here, but it didn't get off the ground until Mr. Lamont took an interest."

And, she said, the rest of the carpeting project would not be completed until further funding is found.

Edward M. Lamont '48 donated the majority of the $50,000, while the remainder came from other members of his family, said Joan P. Nordell, assistant director of external affairs for the University library.

Lamont said he decided to fund the carpeting because he was moved by complaints about noise.

"Student commented on the squeakiness of the floors. The noise was disconcerting for people trying to study. So I thought it was a good project for me to make a contribution to," said Lamont, who served on the Visiting Committee for University Libraries.

Many students said the change had prompted them to desert Lamont's remoter reaches and study on the main floor.

"It reminds me of a rolling meadow full of wildflowers," said Bradley A. Clark '91. "There's less noise on this floor now--last year I studied in the basement."

Charles E. Reece '92 said the carpeting had definitely enticed him to work on the main level.

"Last year the squeaking noise was annoying, so I had to study on the fifth floor. And the fifth floor was so hot that I fell asleep and didn't work," he said.

Reece added that the carpet was aesthetically pleasing as well. "I love it. It's purple," he said.

But not all students interviewed at Lamont yesterday said they noticed the noise difference.

"The carpet provides more comfortable padding which leads to a more comfortable atmosphere," said Peter H. Harutunian '92. "But I can't tell a difference in noise."