Golf Finals Rained Out

Just as the Harvard golf team was prepared to surge toward the top of the 25-team Toski Invitational field, Mother Nature intervened and assured that it would fare no better than 11th. The final round of the tournament, held at the Hickory Ridge Country Club in Amherst, was canceled because of heavy rains yesterday. This left the Crimson with a team total of 246 strokes, 36 behind victorious Central Connecticut, which posted a 210.

The Crimson was paced by sophomore Andy Chao, who shot an eight-over-par 80, and junior Captain Mike Foster, who posted an 81-stroke total on Sunday. The remainder of the team fared nearly as well, with sophomore Dennis Crowley (81 strokes), junior Dave Friedman (84) and sophomore Dave Miller (91) rounding out Harvard's team stroke total.

"We played better than I expected," Foster said. "Last year we lost team Captain Terry Murray to graduation and I was unsure about this year's returning talent. But it was obvious that the guys worked hard over the summer."

The Crimson's next test is on Thursday, when it travels to Middlebury, Vt., to participate in the East Coast Athletic Conference Regional Qualifier.