M. Booters to Take on UConn

Soccer Notebook

By Michael R. Grunwald

It is the Cameron Indoor Stadium, the Lynah Rink or the Metrodome of New England college soccer.

The Connecticut Soccer Stadium in Storrs, Conn. It is the home field of the University of Connecticut men's soccer team. Harvard will face the Huskies there tomorrow in a game that traditionally carries along with it Northeastern bragging rights.

"There should be about four to five thousand people there," sophomore Jeremy Amen said.

Last year, UConn escaped Ohiri Field with a 2-1 victory over the Crimson. In that game, Josh Morris scored the solo Harvard goal.

The Huskies (4-3-2) recently defeated Dartmouth, 2-1, UConn has dominated the Crimson (3-3-0 overall, 1-1-0 Ivies) over the last 15 years, racing to a 6-3-4 series advantage.

Mookie: The Crimson seems to have hit its stride right on time, losing a tough decision to Stanford and beating Ivy-leading Penn, 1-0. After being thumped by national power house Indiana, Coach Mike Getman made some crucial adjustments.

Foremost, sophomore Jamie Reilly has answered the call in his first two starts in the goal. A notable catalyst of his team's improved play, Reily is in contention for the Mookie Wilson Award this season.

For his efforts against Penn, Reilly was named Ivy Player of the Week. His eight-save shutout performance in his first Ivy start propelled the Crimson back into the thick of the league.

The Crimson makes this season's television debut tomorrow on NESN. race. In the process, Reilly lowered his goals-against average to 0.64, while stopping 90 percent of opponents' shots.

"My pulse is down to about 1000 now," an elated Reilly said after the Penn game.

Hallelujah: Senior forwards Nick D'Onofrio (3 goals, 1 assist for 7 points) and Derek Mills (2-3-7) continue to lead Harvard in scoring. However, neither has tallied in the past two games.

Picking up the slack against Penn was Amen, whose grounder gave the Crimson defense all it needed to ice the victory. Amen seems to fare well against the Quakers, having tallied last year at Franklin Field.

Ruin' the Bruins: The Harvard women's soccer team suffered its most disappointing defeat of the season last Friday in Providence, R.I., dropping a 2-1 overtime heartbreaker to archrival Brown.

The Crimson (2-2-1 overall, 1-1-0 Ivy) controlled the play with a crisp passing attack led by center midfielder Tracy Hackeling and three-time All-Ivy sweeper Andrea Montalbano. But Harvard could not generate scoring opportunities, and failed to cash in on the few it had.

The Bruins, ranked 14th in the country, have not lost to the Crimson since 1982. They have won or shared the Ivy League title for the past eight seasons.

Reilly Rosy: Once again, Crimson goaltender Beth Reilly kept her team in the game, registering 13 saves and allowing no rebounds. Brown Coach Paul Pincince called her "the most improved player on the field."

Harvard seems to be starting a tradition of Reillys between the posts. Beth is not related to the men's new keeper, Jamie Reilly, who is taking the place of departed netminder Chad Reilly '89, Beth's brother. Chad is presently playing in England, and lives in the home of men's Captain Paul Baverstock.

Are you getting this down?

Appalling Appellations: Dave Letterman, eat your heart out. Chris Berman, take cover. It's time for the Top Ten women's soccer nicknames of 1989:

10. Tracy "Political" Hackeling

9. Andrea "Ricardo" Montalbano

8. Tory "Well" Fair. Or Tory Fair "Well."

7. "Rockin" Robin Johnston

6. Sue "Shi" Carls

5. Erin Matias "Paisley"

4. Heather "Stonewall" Jackson.

3. Kari "Me Back to Old Virginny" Morioka

2. Jen "Forty" Wink

1. Sharon "Share Alike" Olken

Come on, Everybody's Doing It: The Crimson hits Newton tonight to take on Boston College. B.C.'s Alumni Stadium is notorious for its Himalayan Astroturf. The field peaks at the center circle, and slants down towards each goal.

Junior midfielder Sue Carls admitted that the turf is unpopular, especially when it rains. Don't worry, though. To prevent rug burns, Carls said Harvard players would wear Spandex and spread Vaseline on their legs.

"It's no big deal," Carls said about the slime and stretch-pants. "The football players do it, too."