Raymond Mills Dies; Former Administrator

Raymond E. Mills, a long-time Harvard employee relations administrator, died of cancer at his summer home on Plum Island Friday. He was 64.

Mills, a resident of Roslindale, left his Harvard post because of illness in June. He had worked for the University for 31 years, most recently acting as the Facilities Maintenance administration's front-line contact with its unions.

Beginning his career at Harvard as a mason's helper, Mills rose steadily through the ranks. In 1968 he earned a bachelor's degree through Harvard's extension program, and in the 1970s he became coordinator of a successful apprentice program for building and grounds workers.

"He was great with people, and always worked well with the unions," said Leo J. Dunn, who is director of Operations Support Services and was a longtime friend of Mills. "He was friendly and outgoing... he brightened up the office. The apprentice program he coordinated was very successful, and many of our best tradespeople today graduated from that program."

According to his wife Helen, Mills "loved his work at Harvard. He didn't want to retire at 64, but he had to because of illness... He fought hard when he thought that what his men wanted was fair."

Funeral services for Mills were held at the Sacred Heart Church in Roslindale yesterday morning. Said Dunn, "As an indication of how well-liked he was here, the funeral was well attended by University people from many departments. We'll miss him here."