Slumping Quakers to Challenge Gridders Tomorrow

Crimson, Penn to Battle for Number Three Spot in the Ivy League

By Andy Fine

The pattern has been set and the Harvard football team hopes it will continue just one more year.

The last time the visiting team won the Harvard-Penn clash, Jimmy Carter was President. In 1980, the Crimson invaded Philadelphia and escaped with a 28-17 victory. Since then, it has been home rule.

This year's game takes place at the Stadium tomorrow at 1:30 p.m. When Penn last defeated the Crimson on its home turf (a 38-27 decision), Richard Nixon was in the Oval Office.

Blowout

Last year, the Quakers dominated Harvard in a 52-13 decision, narrowing their deficit in the overall series to 37-20-2. This year, Harvard (3-5 overall, 3-2 Ivy) looks to answer the call, coming off a 27-14 win over Brown last week.

Against the Bruins, quarterback Tim Perry ran for 68 yards and threw for two touchdown passes to help Coach Joe Restic garner his 100th career win. The victory lifted Harvard into third place in the Ivy League.

Perry led the team in rushing for the second straight week, but senior split end Mark Bianchi picked up ample ground as well. Bianchi carried the ball on a reverse four times, a play that consistently baffled the Bruin defenders to the tune of 42 yards.

In that game, the Crimson raced to a 14-point lead, thanks to a great defensive effort and an opportunistic offense. The defense blessed Perry and his crew with good field position for most of the afternoon.

Saturday, both the offense and the defense clicked. Earlier in the season, the offense moved the ball successfully (28 points against Army). But the defense had its problems (surrendering 56 points against the Cadets).

At other times, the defense was stingy, but the offense stalled (6-5 win over Dartmouth). It seems, though, that the Crimson is ready to challenge the Quakers. The units, both offensive and defensive, will attempt to continue their recent success.

Penn (4-3, 2-2) fared well early this season, winning four of its first five games. The Quakers, however, have lost their last two to Ivy League co-leaders Yale and Princeton. While the Quakers have dominated the league this decade, their chances for winning a title this year have vanished.

Brian "Crimson" Keys leads the Quakers. The All-American can become only the third Ivy back ever to amass 3000 career yards rushing. Keys leads the nation in all-purpose yardage and is a leading candidate for the top 1-AA player in the country. Princeton, however, shut down the mobile senior last week, limiting him to just 65 yards on the ground. The Tigers dominated the Quakers, thrashing them, 30-8.

In addition to slamming the door on the Penn ground attack, Princeton also gunned down Air Quaker. Quarterback Malcolm Glover, who leads the Ivies with 240 yards per game passing, was ineffective against the raging Princeton defense, throwing for only 157 yards.

For the home team trend to continue, Harvard must contain Penn's explosive offensive tandem, as well as produce points. The Quakers must thwart the scrambling tendencies of Perry to come away victorious in Cambridge.

The Home Field Advantage: Harvard-Penn in the 1980s

1981 at Harvard 45, Penn 7

1983 at Harvard 28, Penn 0

1985 at Harvard 17, Penn 6

1987 at Harvard 31, Penn 14

1982 at Penn 23, Harvard 21

1984 at Penn 38, Harvard 7

1986 at Penn 17, Harvard 10

1988 at Penn 52, Harvard 13

Harvard leads the overall series, 37-20-2