THE RETURN TO ST. PAUL

Harvard vs. Minnesota December 22-23, 1989

When Harvard wing Ed Krayer tapped a rebound past University of Minnesota goaltender Robb Stauber in overtime to give the Crimson its first NCAA championship, Harvard faithful were dancing in the streets of Cambridge.

But as that saying goes, with the "thrill of victory" necessarily comes the "agony of defeat." The 4-3 overtime defeat marked Minnesota's fourth consecutive exit from the NCAA Final Four without a title victory. Once again, Minnesota fans were left with the indelible impression of a ski jumper viciously tumbling down a 100-meter ramp.

Paul Ferguson, a political science major at Minnesota and an avid Golden Gopher fan, describes the emotion he felt as the puck trickled past the Minnesota goaltender as "utter disbelief."

"The tide had been turning in our favor at the end of regulation time," Ferguson says. "We had been getting more shots on goal at the end of the third period, and I thought one would eventually get through. When Harvard scored the goal in overtime, I felt empty and sick."

Ferguson was not alone.

"Immediately what came to my mind after the initial shock was revenge," Minnesota senior Rich Manusky says. "That was the third time since I've been here that we've made it to the Final Four and failed to win the national championship. I didn't know how, but I wanted to get back at someone."

Harvard fans once again hope to see the Crimson repeat as national champions and share in the elation of being the best team in the country. But there are two sides to every coin. Minnesota faithful have not forgotten what transpired and are looking forward to this season with as much anticipation as the Crimson.

Minnesota hockey fans have already circled December 22 and 23 on their calendars. That's when Harvard will visit St. Paul to take on the Gophers on their own home rink.

"Looking at our schedule, it's definitely the biggest game for Minnesota fans," Ferguson says. "We are already organizing our support for the game. We are going to be loud, obnoxious, and intimidating. We're going to do anything to help the Gophers win the game and exact some revenge."

But until late December, Minnesota hockey fans will be forced to endure their runner-up status. And as if it wasn't enough to lose the national championship game, Harvard alumni and students have been less than sympathetic.

"I was in New York for the summer and I was looking for a job in an uptown law firm," Minnesota junior Paul Richards says. "It seems that one of the partners in the firm was a Harvard alumnus and when I mentioned that I was from the University of Minnesota, he responded with a large grin and a 15-minute onslaught of ribbing about the game."

"I got the job, but only after enduring his abuse," Richards says. "But it was all in good fun."

Manusky recalls when some of his friends, who happened to be Harvard fans, sent him a bouquet of flowers with a card that said, "Rest in Peace, Minnesota. Love, Harvard."

"I can't wait until December 22," Manusky says.