The Stadium is Unkind to the Quakers

Football Notebook

By Michael Stankiewicz

Now we know the reason why the Quakers settled in Pennsylvania over 200 hundred years ago. They certainly weren't welcome in Massachusetts and they still aren't at Harvard.

The Penn Quakers football team hasn't won a game against Harvard in the Stadium since 1972, a streak which was extended to eight games with Saturday's 24-15 Harvard win.

"It's a big, big win for us," Harvard Coach Joe Restic said after the game. "They didn't want to be the team that was going to lose to Penn at home for the first time since 1972."

What is it about the Stadium that paralyzes the usually-potent Quaker football team? Penn has shared or won outright the Ivy League title every season since 1981 except for the Crimson's 1987 Ivy-winning campaign. In those seven seasons, the Quaker's Ivy record is 39-6-1 outside the Stadium, 0-3 inside the Stadium.

Could it be the work of supernatural forces? Not according to Penn defensive back Steve Johnson, who intercepted one of Harvard Quarterback Tim Perry's seven passes Saturday.

"I don't believe in any of that mystique stuff," said Johnson, who was a near-unanimous choice for first team All-Ivy last season.

Crossing Your X's and Your O's: Penn Coach and former defensive coordinator Gary Steele despondently admitted defeat in his battle of the minds with Restic Saturday.

With Harvard gaining massive yardage on cutback option plays in the first half, Steele made the decision to take the Crimson's cutbacks away...exactly like Restic figured he would.

"Harvard did a good job of seeing what we were doing and they gave us a little problem with the sprint draw in the first half," Steele said. "We went in at halftime and what we did is try to make the adjustment to help us with the cutbacks they were getting and in retrospect, it was a gamble that backfired on us."

On Harvard's first series of the third quarter, the Crimson drove 73 yards on seven running plays to go up, 17-0. Two of the plays were a 17-yd. burst through the middle by fullback Art McMahon and a 13-yd. rumble off right guard by Chuck Greene.

Was it luck? Just ask Restic.

"In the first half, we ran a play that was picking up very good yardage," Restic said, "and we thought they would adjust to that play, which they did. We went back and took the backside away, went the other direction and went away from that play altogether. That was a big play for us."

Keys Plays: With the Quakers trailing, 17-7, early in the fourth period, Penn was knocking on the door with a second-and-goal from the Harvard 3-yd. line on a drive highlighted by running back Bryan Keys' 47-yd. jaunt. But the Harvard defense slammed the door on Keys and his offensive unit.

On second down, Keys swept around left end, but Harvard safety Bobby Frame came up and made a solo tackle for a 1-yd. loss. On third down, Penn signal-caller Malcolm Glover tried to sneak into the end zone on a keeper, but defensive tackle John Sparks pursued the Penn quarterback and tackled him on the 2-yd. line. Fourth down brought more of the same, with Keys trying to find some room off left tackle and seeing "only a sea of Crimson."

"In retrospect, we should have taken time out and talked it over a little more," Steele said, "but I thought we were in position where we had the momentum right there."

"Sometimes on the sidelines, you just get a sense and you have to make the decision," Steele added.

The Love of the Challenge: What's the most fun thing to do on a Saturday afternoon?

For Steele, it may be losing to Harvard and Restic's vaunted multiflex offensive scheme.

"I've been in the league seven years and it's gotten to the point where I enjoy playing Harvard," Steele said. "The first couple of years, looking at the offense, looking at all the formations and stuff, it really drove me crazy."

"I'm not sitting here saying I have any answers with it, but it's gotten to the point where it's a challenge," Steele continued. "I enjoy the preparation for Harvard, as crazy as it sounds. I don't enjoy the results every year. The bottom line is it still comes down to basic football."

Honorarium: Senior cornerback Jim Smith was named ECAC 1-AA Co-Defensive Player of the Week for his stellar Penn performance. Smith made nine tackles against the Quakers, including the fourth-quarter stuff of keys at the one on fourth down.