Icewomen Dominate B.C., 8-0

Joslin Nets Hat Trick As Shear Posts Shutout

By Jennifer M. Frey

The game and the location were, at best, incongruous.

Last night, the Harvard women's hockey team defeated the Boston College club team, 8-0, in a contest that, in Co-Captain Char Joslin's words, went from "terrible to just bad."

The site was Boston College's Conte Forum--the one-year-old, state-of-the-art, 7800-capacity pride of B.C.'s athletic facilities.

It is a rink befitting a pro team--not a club team that, according to Joslin, is not so smooth on its skates.

"It was one of those games," said Julie Sasner, the assistant coach. "We tend to play up to good teams and down to the bad ones."

But while the Crimson was playing down to the level of the Eagles, that did not prevent it from running up the score. The Crimson got some good shooting practice in, upping their overall record to 1-1.

"We had a fair amount of shots," said Joslin.

And a fair amount of shots that went in. Harvard jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the first period. It added a score in the second and finally let the floodgates open in the third, drowning the Eagles in their brand new arena.

The Crimson soon discovered, however, that even one goal would have done the trick against B.C. last night.

Shutout In Debut

In her first game minding the net, freshman Alexandria Shear posted a shutout.

Of course, that task was not quite as difficult as it might sound, since, as Joslin put it, "she didn't have to face a lot of shots."

Joslin led the Crimson scorers with a hat trick, including the game-winner.

For her first goal, the senior co-captain took a pass from freshman defender Kim Landry at the blue line, worked her way into the slot and shoved a backhander into the net.

Sophomore forward Sandra Whyte also tallied twice for Harvard, while Landry, junior Sue Cullinane and sophomore Ceci Clark each added a single score. Landry's goal was her first at Harvard.

Video Silence

But while the Crimson seemed to have few problems tickling the twines in the Forum, a few players may have been disappointed that Harvard's scoring pyrotechnics failed to ignite the Forum's flashy electronic video scoreboards, something they rarely see on the college hockey circuit.

"We didn't get the slo-mo replay," Joslin said. "Maybe next time."

THE NOTEBOOK: Co-Captain Martina Albright missed the game with a back injury sustained in Harvard's loss to Providence Monday night...The Crimson now has a 10-day layoff before hosting Yale on Saturday, December 2 at Bright Center. In another Ivy League match, Harvard will face Brown at Bright on Wednesday, December 6.