The Council Caved In

MAIL

To the Editors of The Crimson:

Something is rotten in the Undergraduate Council.

What other explanation can there be for the council's apparent cave-in to administration demands that first-year students accept a non-ordered choice system to determine their housing over the next three years.

If it does indeed endorse that plan, the purported voice of Harvard undergraduates will have exhibited itself as a remarkable model of political impotency to administration and students alike.

In supporting the plan that is politically convenient for itself, the council is folding in the face of administration pressures. It is also "betraying" the views of students by advocating non-ordered choice, according the council member Daniel H. Tabak '92 (The Crimson, November 28) and probably a good majority of the class of 1993 as well.

Why not actually take a firm stand for what students want: the ability to choose where they will spend the next three years. The first-year class expected the status quo housing policy when it matriculated this fall, not some compromise plan that limits choice.

In embracing a housing plan simply to make itself more credible with the College administration while abrogating its responsibility to represent the true feelings of its sole constituents--undergraduates--to Dean of the College L. Fred '57 Jewett and Company, the council actually loses credibility with both sides.

The council should stop acting in its own political interests and start acting in those of its constituents. Kenneth A. Katz '93