Injury-Plagued Grapplers Initialize WPI, NYU, UNH

Harvard Overcomes Rash of Injuries to Sweep Three-Way Meet

By Sandra Block

The Harvard wrestling team refused to buckle.

Even with four starters off of the roster, the Crimson swept the quadmatch at New York University for the first time in four years.

Harvard plastered Worcester Polytechnic, 29-5, New Hampshire, 29-12, and NYU, 26-17.

But how can that be? What's the catch? How can a team low on numbers and high on injuries keep the losing column blank?

"I can't say depth helped us, because we don't really have much," said freshman 190-pounder Joe Biland. "But everyone kind of knew that we'd be down a little bit, so we all put out a little bit more."

Tod Cameron moved up from his usual 126-lb. weight class to step in at 134-lbs. for injured Sam Cole. Even in this disadvantaged position, Cameron did the Crimson proud, sweeping WPI and NYU by wide margins and topping his UNH opponent by a technical foul.

The second-string wrestlers didn't let beginners nerves or inexperience get in their way. They put mind and will together to come out first class.

"The overall attitude in the room is just really positive, "Co-Captain Tim Kierstead said. "We were in better shape than anyone else there. Even when the second-stringers had to come in, they were ready to jump on in."

Jumping up a weight class, Cameron left a space at 126-lbs. and freshman Frank Fronhofer heard his calling. He did a little of everything, winning against WPI, typing UNH and dropping a match to NYU.

"Frank wrestled his heart out," said 118-lb. Nick Cianciola. "He made the match close on sheer willpower. Even though he lost the match, it was an outstanding effort."

At 142-lbs., Mike Costanza took over for Ted Stachtiaris, who had injured his knee at the Coast Guard Tournament. Costanza racked up wins against WPI and UNH. But the Crimson voodoo doll got another pin stuck in its leg, and Costanza had to forfeit his match against NYU because of an injured ankle.

Cianciola and Biland, the dynamic freshman duo, didn't turn their backs on the Crimson either.

Cianciola took his revenge on the WPI opponent that pinned him last week at the Coast Guard Tournament, spanking him 12-5.

"I went out and wrestled pretty cautiously and stayed away from rolls," Cianciola said. "It was an easy match actually, after I had the right strategy."

Cianciola slaughtered his UNH opponent, with a technical foul [a win by 15 points]. Freshman Josh Freshwater got a chance to show his stuff in his Harvard debut, taking over for Cianciola and winning against NYU.

Biland also wrestled up to snuff, slipping by WPI, 3-2, and UNH, 4-2. He gathered his strength to splatter his NYU opponent, 12-2.

Even if the team was satisfied, Biland wasn't.

"I didn't wrestle well at all," Biland said. "All three of my matches were really sloppy. I guess I was really tired."

Kierstead also turned around a so-far frustrating season to give the Crimson three wins. Although he was losing in the last period of every match, Kierstead wouldn't give up. A late takedown earned a 7-5 win against WPI.

At heavyweight, Dwight Cooper pinned his WPI opponent, but fell to UNH, 6-4. Replacing Cooper against NYU, Rich Sofield pulled out a tie against a much-heavier opponent.

"I don't know how [Sofield] did it," Kierstead said. "The kid had almost 60 pounds on him."

Blood, sweat and tears made the hurting Crimson the victor of the quad-match.