Fire Engulfs Apartment Over Uno's

A one-alarm fire broke out in a second-story Harvard Square apartment yesterday, gutting the kitchen but injuring no one.

At approximately 3:25 p.m., thick black smoke began billowing from the windows at 20 John F. Kennedy Street, above Pizzeria Uno. Six trucks from the Cambridge Fire Department arrived several minutes later, and fire fighters doused the blaze within a few minutes.

Inspector Edward Fowler said he was not sure what caused the fire, but he said faulty wiring in the kitchen ceiling may have been to blame.

Firefighters said they had little trouble putting out the blaze, calling it "routine."

"It was quick and easy," said Tom Stack, a deputy fire chief.

But it was not easy for everyone. Alex Alevar, 26, who lives above the gutted apartment, said he was upset the firefighters broke his windows to clear out the smoke.

The owner of apartment where the fire broke out could not be reached for comment.

The fire interrupted traffic on the normally crowded JFK Street for more than 90 minutes, as police diverted traffic away.