Bunting Fills Leadership Post

Wellesley Education Scholar Joins New Guard at Radcliffe

By Maggie S. Tucker

Filling a post that has been vacant since August, Radcliffe administrators said yesterday they had chosen a scholar in the history of education as the new assistant director of the Bunting Institute.

Linda M. Eisenmann, assistant professor of education and writing at Wellesley College, will start work next semester at Radcliffe's center for the advancement of women's studies and art.

Describing Eisenmann as "a scholar of distinction," Director of the Bunting Institute Florence Ladd said she was "extremely pleased" that Eisenmann would be coming to the Institute.

"She is committed to the advancement of the works of women," Ladd said.

Eisenmann comes to Radcliffe during a transitional period for the Bunting Institute. Nearing its 30th anniversary, the institute is starting to reassess its goals as a new leadership takes over, said Ladd, who was hired as director this year.

Ladd replaced Elizabeth R. McKinsey, who stepped down last spring to become a dean at Carlton College. McKinsey was also associate professor of English and American literature.

"This is a very exciting time of change for the Bunting and for Radcliffe," said Eisenmann, who said she hopes to increase ethnic and educational diversity among Bunting fellows and to provide them with greater financial support.

Between 40 and 45 women come each year to the Bunting Institute as fellows, pursuing projects often involving academic research, public policy work, writing or art.

Eisenmann said she hopes undergraduates will become more involved with the Bunting Institute and its programs during her tenure. "It's important for them to know that there is this bridge between the campus and the world of women scholars and writers and artists," she said.

Eisenmann said she is particularly interested in how undergraduates feel about feminism and why many feel uncomfortable calling themselves feminists. She said she believes she has a "small mission" to try to give undergraduate women a different view of feminism.