Greenough Meeting Warns Frosh of Noise

Follows Settlement of Suit By Neighbor

Responding to complaints by neighborhood residents over persistent noise from Greenough Hall, University officials reminded the dorm's occupants of Harvard's "good neighbor" policy in a mandatory meeting Thursday night.

The gathering came six months after the University agreed in an out-of court settlement to a suit filed several years ago that it would remind first-year residents to keep noise levels to a minimum.

"[The meeting] was to reiterate the goal of being sensitive to neighbors," said Keith W. Frome, senior advisor for the Union dorms and one of three administrators who spoke at the meeting. But he added that the gathering was not an admonishment or a lecture, saying it was not addressed to particular students.

Henry C. Moses--the dean of first-year students--and Christine Hughes--an attorney who represented the University for the general counsel's office in the suit--also gave presentations at Thursday's meeting. Hughes declined to discuss the issue yesterday, and Moses could not be reached for comment.

"They told us not to taunt anyone," said Aretha D. Davis '93, adding that students were informed that they could personally be implicated in a suit, if a neighbor were to file one.

The informal talk follows four years of disputes between the University and residents of 9-13 Ware St., who share a courtyard with Greenough, said Charles G. Thomas, a resident in the apartment complex.

Thomas, and attorney who has lived on Ware St. since 1985, said in an interview that in the past few years nearly all of the students have been extremely well-behaved, but that each year--this year included--there are two or three Greenough rooms that are excessively noisy.

Saying that the courtyard is "enormously acoustically sensitive," Thomas added that "you can hear normal conversations" that take place in the courtyard.

Thursday's meeting came soon after Thomas wrote two letters to Frome, one complaining of the loud noise from Greenough late at night and the other asking Harvard for a copy of a memorandum sent to Greenough residents reminding them to keep down noise levels, Thomas said.

In requesting the memo, Thomas said he was asking that Harvard fulfill its part of the out-of-court settlement, which guaranteed that he would receive any communications between the University and Greenough residents regarding excess noise.

As part of the settlement, Harvard also agreed to re-landscape the courtyard in such a way as to "discourage use of the space for ball-playing and active recreation and to create an atmosphere encouraging quiet activities," the agreement said.

Greenough students have also complained about the noise coming from the courtyard--the noise of young children playing outside during the warm weather.

"You couldn't do anything," said Nkenge A. McLin '93, "Every time I tried to take a nap, I could hear kids."

But Greenough residents said many of Thomas' complaints are unjustified.

"Some people play [music] at excessive volumes, but sometimes [Thomas] is ridiculous," said Bryan Garrett '93, who lives on the side of Greenough facing the courtyard. "He doesn't want anyone doing anything in the backyard--if you read too loud, he comes out."