Life as a Jock Nerd

A Saturday Special

By Johanna B. Berkman

When picturing a former Olympic-level athlete, one hardly envisions a Harvard graduate who spends his time practicing yoga and studying Eastern philosophy.

But that's a reality of life for Paul Widerman '83, who has recently become the alumni advisor to the Society of Nerds and Geeks (SONG).

"When [SONG President] Jeremy Kahn told me he was forming this organization, I realized that I was a closet nerd or geek by the way I was leading my life up until this point and all the things I think about," said Widerman. "I find myself being stereotyped in a way that I have fought against all my life...Clearly people have some conception of what nerds or geeks are supposed to look like. I don't look like that, but somewhere in my own mind I think of myself as one."

Though he may not look like a geek, Widerman definitely does not come across as a stud. The former Crimson wrestler is 5-ft., 2-in. tall, 118-lbs. and balding. Aside from being Harvard's assistant wrestling coach, Widerman is a strict vegetarian who teaches yoga and dance classes at Harvard.

An alternate in the 1984 Olympics, Widerman's wrestling ability ties into his interest in Zen philosophy. He claims success depends on getting the body in the right rhythm and manipulating different energy levels.

Widerman describes himself as a "touchy, feely" kind of guy, who can always tell what's going on inside his body. Wilderman's circle of friends extends well beyond his athletic world, including artists, scientists and architects.

"Most of my friends are not athletes," Widerman said. "They are people working more from a creative, artistic perspective in their lives."

New Positions?

A line from the the movie "Revenge of the Nerds" said that nerds were better lovers, because while all jocks thought about was sports, all nerds talk about is sex. In a lecture Wednesday, Widerman told three nerds and geeks listeners--who recently proclaimed on television's "People Are Talking" that they never have sex--that yoga would aid their sex lives.

"One of the more interesting things about yoga is that it will dramatically improve your sex life. That's why I felt yoga was pertinent to SONG," Widerman said.

Though sex interested the nerds and geeks less than the issue of how yoga could help them get more rest out of less sleep, Widerman pressed his agenda onto the floor.

"In opposition to the idea of `wham-bam-thank-you-ma'am,' or the idea that the man comes quickly and that's it, you can get control of that and sex becomes more pleasurable. Energy is energy, if you want to channel it into sex you can."