Aquawomen Destroy Brown at Blodgett Pool, 97-53

By Michael Stankiewicz

Don't expect any mercy from the Harvard women's swimming team this year. Following its 4-1 showing at the Alabama Invitational last weekend, the Crimson returned home to Cambridge and shellacked Ivy League foe Brown, 97-53, at Blodgett Pool last night.

"We were continuing our taper from the Alabama tourney, and we were expecting to swim fast," said Mia Costello, who placed first in the 100-meter breaststroke, 200-meter breaststroke and as a member of the medley relay. "And we got good swims out of everyone."

And it was the same nucleus of swimmers that did the damage last night, helping Harvard to place first in all but two events, the 100-meter freestyle and 3-meter diving.

"The whole team got to swim today," Harvard Coach Maura Costin-Scalise said, "and for those people who didn't compete at the Alabama Invitational, it was only their second meet of the season, and some just didn't seem to have the spark. I think I have a better idea of our depth now."

Stormin' Stacie

Sophomore Stacie Duncan turned in another strong performance for the Crimson (6-1), capturing the 400 individual medley relay and the 500-meter freestyle. Lynn Kelley was another multiple winner, capturing the 100-meter and 200-meter butterfly and coming in second in the 100-meter freestyle.

Other first-place finishers included Jenny Moyer in the 200-meter freestyle, Laura Alonzo in the 100-meter backstroke, Nina Anderson in the 50-meter freestyle, Lisa Reed in the 1-meter diving event, Jenny Meyer in the 200-meter backstroke and Anne Koerckel in the 200-meter individual medley.

Harvard also captured the 200-meter freestyle relay, and its team of Alonzo, Costello, Anderson and Eva Romas captured the medley relay.

"Some people were tired from the travelling this weekend," Costin-Scalise said, "but overall I was very pleased with our performance."

THE NOTEBOOK: The Crimson swims against Yale in New Haven Saturday at 2 p.m. The meet doesn't promise to be much of a challenge for the surging Crimson...Harvard is holding out hopes of being ranked nationally when the dualmeet rankings come out this week.