Students Steal the Spirit In Holworthy's Holiday

Several first-year grinches disheartened Holworthy Hall residents last week by vandalizing holiday lights intended to raise spirits in the Yard.

The lights--making up a "Veritas" emblem, modeled after dining hall cups, a Christmas tree and a "93" for the students' class year--were pulled down by a group of first-years leaving a party on Friday, according to a Hollis resident present at the incident.

"The people that removed the lights did it after a party. There was nothing malicious involved--it was just a mischievous prank," he said.

One Hollis resident was apprehended by proctor Gregory L. Vaughn and will be brought before the College's Administrative Board, the student said.

But Holworthy residents said they were upset about the damage.

"The students in the entryway were real hurt," said Vaughn.

Edward C. Hsiao '93 said students in his entryway were "kind of dismayed." "A lot of us are from relatively small towns...and we don't see vandalism of this type."

Hsiao said the Holworthy students decided during a study break to follow last year's custom of hanging the lights. "Everyone gave either a string of lights or a dollar" toward the project, he said.

The day after the vandalism, dorm residents spent two hours repairing the lights, supported on chicken wire which Hsiao strengthened in response to the attacks said Erik W. Larson '93.

David L. Duncan '93, who organized the lights over east Holworthy, said the other patterns had also been damaged, adding that the lights nearest the ground were torn down Saturday.

"I think it [the vandalism] was idiotic and pointless," said Duncan.