Divinity Students End Protest

Divestment Supporters Conclude Fast at Memorial Church

By Elaine Lum

Divinity School students who spent the weekend praying and fasting in Memorial Church to protest the University's $164 million in South African-related investments ended their two-day vigil quietly at yesterday morning's service.

Although the students were not allowed to speak during the service, church officials agreed to include the protestors' statements in the service bulletin. The students, wearing armbands, were also allowed to greet church-goers with banners and to speak to worshippers during the coffee break.

In addition, church officials invited the demonstrators to sponsor follow-up vigils and discussions weekly at the church, said Div School student Phillip E. Stolzfus, the students' spokesperson. He said the demonstrators are still considering that offer.

The students declared "sanctuary" in the church on Friday. At that time, the worshippers announced their support for the candidacy of South African Archbishop and Nobel Peace Prize-winner Desmond M. Tutu, who is seeking election to Harvard's Board of Overseers on the Harvard-Radcliffe Alumni Against Apartheid slate.

"If Tutu is not elected," Stoltzfus said, "we'll anticipate working further on this and keeping pressure on the University as long as we need to."

The 30-member Board advises the Corporation on University policy. By attracting publicity, Stoltzfus said, the Div School students hope alumni will vote for these nominees on the ballots they will receive this week. The final results of the election will be tabulated in June.

Stoltzfus said the vigil was "not an attempt to alienate the church administration because they are not the ones we want to target."

"Divinity School students want divestment," Stoltzfus said. "We see it as a theological and religious issue, not just a political issue. That is why we want our presence known."

Peter S. Chandler, a Div School student who coordinated the fasters' weekend activities, said Memorial Church was chosen as the site for the vigil because "the church is a universal symbol of conscience."

He added that the church was selected over the Div School's chapel because divestment is a University-wide issue.

Several members of the Div School faculty, including Thomas Professor of Divinity Harvey G. Cox and former Div School Dean Krister T. Stendahl, joined local ministers in giving speeches and leading discussions in Appleton Chapel.

Protestors discussed their experiences in South Africa, the moral and theological implications of the protest and strategies of dealing with apartheid.

"We want our group to work as a catalyst to encourage other groups to work towards full divestment," said Chandler.

"I think the attempt to call attention to the divestment issue is important," said Mallinckrodt Professor of Divinty Gordon D. Kaufman. Kaufman discussed the complexity of the South Africa problem in a speech Saturday.

The protest coincided with a rally marking the 20th anniversary of the 1969 takeover of University Hall and the subsequent student strike.

"By doing this...we could get publicity for Tutu as well as for the '69 events," Stoltzfus said.

Rev. Peter J. Gomes and Rev. Preston B. Hannibal, ministers at the church, could not be reached for comment.