Thinclads, Yale Claim Naughton Cup

Sports Wrap

By Christopher M. Thorne

Harvard and Yale defeated Oxford and Cambridge, 21-13, to win the Naughton Cup track meet at New Haven, Conn., Saturday.

In the women's competition, Harvard junior Meredith Rainey swept the 100-, 200- and 400-meter dashes. Rainey finished the 100 in 12.46 seconds, the 200 in 25.37, and the 400 in 56.82.

Harvard's Elizabeth Ross won the 400-meter hurdles with a time of 1:04.15. Harvard also won both relays, finishing the 400-meter relay in 48.64 seconds and winning the mile relay in 3:56.34.

On the field, Harvard's Cathy Griffin won the hammer with a throw of 37.4 meters, and triple jumper Rita Raju also won her event, leaping 11.45 meters to victory.

Men

In the men's competition, Harvard sophomore Derrick Horner won the sprinting events with a 100-meter time of 11.04 seconds, and finished the 200-meter dash in 22.12 seconds.

John Mee finished first in the 400 meters in 48.72 seconds, and Hiroshi Andrews won the 400-meter hurdles in 54.20 seconds.

The Crimson men also won both relays, finishing the 400-meter relay in 42.41 seconds and the mile relay in 3:16.42.

In field events, Harvard senior Chris Sullivan won the high jump, clearing 2.0 meters, and sophomore Nic Sweeney won the discus with a throw of 48.7 meters.

Yale won the 110 high hurdles, hammer throw, javelin, long jump, and pole vault, and the OxfordCambridge team won the 800 meters, steeplechase, 5,000 meters and triple jump.

Harvard will compete against Dartmouth, New Hampshire and Maine on Saturday at Dartmouth.