Ruggers Top Fordham, Jamaican Nat'l Team

By Jennifer M. Frey

The Jamaican men's National Rugby Team is fast. But not fast enough.

Despite being outsprinted by the speedy Jamaicans, the Harvard Rugby Club capitalized on its top-notch technical skills to capture a 29-18 triumph Saturday in Ocho Rios, Jamaica.

"[The Jamaicans] weren't very good technically, but they were ridiculously fast," Club President Bruce Miller said. "They won the footraces, but we were able to beat them with our skills."

To combat the Jamaicans' quickness, the Crimson (5-0 overall) shifted the focus of its game from the backfield to its forwards--who responded with an unusually-high three trys. Sophomore forward Will Rava scored twice, and senior Mark Sagarin once as the Crimson shut down the Jamaican running game.

"We were focusing on dominance in our forwards," Miller said. "That resulted in a number of scores from our forwards. It was to our advantage not to let them run the ball."

Harvard ran away with its other game during the Jamaican tour, downing Fordham, 45-0, in Negril on March 28 for its second-straight shutout. In its game before break, the Crimson blanked the Boston Rugby Club, 64-0.

Against Fordham, Harvard was paced by junior Chris Crisera, who scored three trys, and Steve Kahn (two trys).

The Crimson hosts the Beacon Hill Rugby Club at Soldiers Field tomorrow, then travels this weekend to Providence for the Ivy League Championships.